turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Non-remaps...  (Read 902 times)

Offline Sedde

Non-remaps...
«: May 15, 2009, 09:44:24 AM»
I haven't done a non-remap port in forever, aside from one for myself, so this was a bit of an experiment. I tried to use it as practice for how I paint digitally, but...I dunno. The BG was not my own work, and I used a reference for the pose.

Tear it to shreds, plz? I really have no clue what I'm doing. My nonremaps always seem to end up really blurry once I resize them, too, which bothers me...though I don't know what else to do. Doing the whole thing pixel-by-pixel doesn't sound too appealing to me, either.

Halp!

IPGD

Re: Non-remaps...
«Reply #1: May 15, 2009, 11:49:21 AM»
Post your ref if you still have it.

Things I see straight off:

1. Her eye extends way too far back. You drew it as if it was being looked at from the front
2. There's very little contrast of value. The hair in particular is basically just one flat shade
3. There is no distinct light source
4. There are no cast shadows
5. Everything is shaded with the same intensity and value regardless of its proximity to the light source

Offline Sedde

«Reply #2: May 15, 2009, 01:55:12 PM»
Post your ref if you still have it.

Things I see straight off:

1. Her eye extends way too far back. You drew it as if it was being looked at from the front
2. There's very little contrast of value. The hair in particular is basically just one flat shade
3. There is no distinct light source
4. There are no cast shadows
5. Everything is shaded with the same intensity and value regardless of its proximity to the light source

1. I guess I did, looking at it again...I dunno quite why I did that, I guess I was having some problems with the SLIGHT angle off the profile view. Made it too wide on the eye.
2. I tried to add more depth with the layers over it, I guess it wasn't enough?
3. There's two light sources. One is the glow from the city sky, the other from the lights on the street below. I thought they were fairly obvious...?
4. See above, I guess. The two light sources have two different colors. The one from the sky was overlaid on top of the shadows from the other.

The general, flat glow from everything around her is what I was shading her by. Everything is illuminated in cities at night, from what I remember -- nothing is a true black.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:56:45 PM by Sedde »

Offline binkari

«Reply #3: May 15, 2009, 03:35:49 PM»
You can do some final pixeling once you've brought it down to 95x95, especially around edges that you want to stand out. The fact of the matter is that computers aren't perfect and sometimes they tend to abbreviate things in unpleasant ways.

anything