turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I need crits =[  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Pocketmew

I need crits =[
«: May 15, 2009, 02:26:20 PM»
I majorly should have used a ref for this, but it started out as just doodling. I know this needs to be refined GREATLY 8( but I need to just step away from it now, otherwise I'll be blind to mistakes. Sooo until I get back to it, I would like some crits. Mainly on shading. I started out with a light source, and then it just started fading away =.= and also I need anatomy suggestions for placement of eyes. (I'm scrapping the eyes I have now xD I just wanted to see what bigu eyes looked like on it) So yesh please redline, and crit =( I really really need it because I feel my arts is going nowhere if not downhill.

IPGD

Re: I need crits =[
«Reply #1: May 15, 2009, 03:01:27 PM»
Study anatomus, srsly. Proper anatomical knowledge isn't something you're going to just stumble onto through trial and error. Read every damn link in my signature so thoroughly your eyes bleed, and then come back to this. I could redline, but it's really not going to do you much good if I have to completely redraw it.

As for your rendering:

a) Stop painting directly with color for now. Either practice with a pencil or with black and white digital painting (with the latter method, you can do a color wash over it, which can be just as effective as doing it directly in color). It's important that you get the feel for value and contrast first before you throw in the complications of hue, saturation, color theory, etc.
b) Try to think of things in a three dimensional way. What you've drawn is very flat and demonstrates little understanding of the topography of the forms you're drawing. Instead of thinking in lines and contours, try to imagine the shapes as being made up of shadows and edges. The line mentality is particularly bad with her eyes; eyes are not outlined in solid black, eyelashes are set onto distinct flesh-colored lids that should be painted out before the hair. Take some time to just draw some cubes and spheres for a while, seriously. Trying to render such a complex object as a human head before you even understand its most elementary components is an exercise in futility.
c) Study how light works. Reflective light is one of the most important parts of the rendering process, yet you've used none of it.

tl;dr: Basics first. You'd think it to be a little silly to attempt calculus before you'd even learned algebra, yes? Art is no different.

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #2: May 15, 2009, 03:09:41 PM»
Hmm alright. I have read your signature quite a few times, and I have been working on anatomy, as I still am. I'll start only black and white digital. I'm actually worse off using pencil and paper for some reason o-o;; I've tried and tried but just am not accustomed to it anymore. Thanks for the tips~

And I was planning on scrapping the eyes XD I just had everything done and just slapped on eyes since I knew the shading was off and wanted to know how to fix it.

Sesruc

«Reply #3: May 15, 2009, 03:26:32 PM»
proportions.
keep them in mind when attempting to achieve something realistic

and imo, it might've helped if you attempted realistic-ish eyes also rather than simply slapping on huge eyes that throw the whole image beyond off.

here's a redline that may help with placement:

edit: oh yeah and remember to draw a jaw
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:28:19 PM by Sesruc »

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #4: May 15, 2009, 03:34:49 PM»
Thanks Sesruc! :3 I wasn't exactly going for realistic. I've always liked art by artists such as loish @ deviantart. Sorta cartoonish, but realistic at the same time. But you're right getting correct proportions will definitally help me get on the right track. =x I keep throwing in stylistic things without thinking....and without it making any sense at all. I'm thinking I'll try to do only realism but with black and whites. I think that'll help since I focus too much on coloring when I do pure realism.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:39:25 PM by Mewstara »

Offline binkari

«Reply #5: May 15, 2009, 03:57:55 PM»
Start off studying portraits using photos or real people. Don't worry about copying everything down to the very last eyelash, but consciously decide what makes a face a face:

1) Look for landmarks that will help give portrait a little "oomph" when you don't have a model to reference. Examples could be the shape of the jawline, the indent around the eyes, where the cheekbones rise the highest, the bridge of the nose relative to the eyes, etc.

2) Don't worry about "style," just abbreviate. The main problem I've seen when people attempt "studies" is that they get entirely too caught up in little details that don't contribute to the overall piece. Other times, you get so caught up in trying to get a "style" to show through that you miss the entire point of the exercise. Concern yourself with capturing the "gesture" of a face, just as you would for an entire body. Doing this will help you establish the landmarks as well as help develop your own style.

3) Flip your canvas around to catch mistakes. You've probably heard this a lot and that's because it's the easiest way to check yourself for glaring errors that your brain might have overlooked or just gotten used to. If the picture looks good both ways, you've probably got a pretty solid drawing on hand.

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #6: May 15, 2009, 04:19:05 PM»
Hmm I tried to fix a few things, and also changed it to grayscale so that I could try to do shading. The light source is from the bottom right.

Binkari ;3; you're another one of my favorite artists. Thanks for the advice. I've always had such a hard time referencing for as long as I can remember...I've been working myself into it every now and then when I'm not doodling though. And I actually haven't heard the flipping thing, ahh my picture looked awful when I flipped it! I subconciously always draw to the left, I really need to break free of that. @[email protected]

Offline binkari

«Reply #7: May 15, 2009, 09:28:45 PM»
I actually advise not to use the grid for the purposes of learning anatomy or structural concepts. Grids essentially take the whole and break it up into little tiny pictures that just happen to make a bigger one if you do it right. Use a grid if you're trying to scale something up or down, but not to learn how things work.

IPGD

«Reply #8: May 15, 2009, 09:35:22 PM»
The grid is basically to train you to draw what you see, and not what you think you see. It's a good idea to use if you're just starting out, but no, it won't help you learn anatomy very well at that stage. Once you've weaned yourself off it, though, it will pay off. It's sort of like using training wheels.

anything