turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: mass produced designs  (Read 3640 times)

Offline dro

mass produced designs
«: May 17, 2009, 03:17:49 PM»
i just cannot understand this phenomenon. the designs that include actual original lineart are fine, obviously, you're getting a cute lil picture. but there are people selling 348738 "designs" that have little or minimal change to one lineart.

or the lowest of the low: someone selling "designs" in which they didn't even do lineart. LOOK AT ME I CAN COLOR IN MS PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!! what the fuck can't people even think of simple color schemes on their own.

Offline Tate

Re: mass produced designs
«Reply #1: May 17, 2009, 03:26:27 PM»
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasicall y. Oh and, here, have this umbrella for the ensuing shit storm. #SR

Offline Kelly

«Reply #2: May 17, 2009, 03:30:41 PM»
i fking completly agree

Offline $kye

«Reply #3: May 17, 2009, 04:01:46 PM»
LOL FINALLY someone makes a thread about this

i personally think its bullshit someone can get paid for using someone elses lineart that they just slapped a bunch of random ass colors on to make it whatever.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #4: May 17, 2009, 04:07:19 PM»
LOL FINALLY someone makes a thread about this

i personally think its bullshit someone can get paid for using someone elses lineart that they just slapped a bunch of random ass colors on to make it whatever.

THIS.

IPGD

«Reply #5: May 17, 2009, 04:24:54 PM»
here's the problem
furries will buy ANYTHING

so they get away with it. i mean, there's not really a point in making original designs and drawings to go with them if some random shmuck will pay just as much for your rehashed templates

pez

«Reply #6: May 17, 2009, 04:33:10 PM»
here's the problem

so they get away with it. i mean, there's not really a point in making original designs and drawings to go with them if some random shmuck will pay just as much for your rehashed templates

this :')

Offline Sync

«Reply #7: May 17, 2009, 04:34:02 PM»
here's the problem

and for this i am not complaining. 5 bux for 5 seconds of work? awesome.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #8: May 17, 2009, 04:41:00 PM»
yeah, it isn't conducive to creativity, but still

jealous you didn't come up with the idea first

edit: though people who make bad template designs make me lol (aka everyone but dayna thusfar that i've seen)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:42:31 PM by Morgan »

pez

«Reply #9: May 17, 2009, 04:42:06 PM»
also, i'd like to add on a more serious note that i always, always, always get compliments on the designs of my characters. i don't really have the time to sit out and draw individual pieces for selling, so i figured hey, instead of collecting alts and drowning in designs for myself, i'll just do a crapload of base edits and sell them cheap.

i mean sure, they all look the same in basic shape and facial expression, but the point is that you don't have to pay 80 bucks for a design you may want that comes with art you DON'T want. hell, you could go out, buy the design, trash the base and go commission someone to draw a better picture.

BUT, that's just from my take on this whole bases thing. i do understand what you mean when people take free line art and recolor it.

Offline Azula

«Reply #10: May 17, 2009, 05:59:15 PM»
laziness is awesome i guess

w/e makes people money because they're greedy pigs

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #11: May 17, 2009, 11:20:49 PM»
Pretty much agree with what everyone has said so far.

Creative designs made without using a template=awesome

Designs created with a template (especially if it's not their own) with very few edits (or poorly done edits) and are very generic/cliche= lame

I think why most people dislike the mass produced ones is because they can fall pretty hard in the craftmanship and creativity areas. There are exceptions in this case, like Pez.

Offline Azula

«Reply #12: May 17, 2009, 11:33:54 PM»
I think why most people dislike the mass produced ones is because they can fall pretty hard in the craftmanship and creativity areas. There are exceptions in this case, like Pez.

you got a little brown on your nose there you should wipe it off

Offline Drug

«Reply #13: May 18, 2009, 12:04:32 AM»
it doesn't matter how lame it is.. if you can get money, you'll get it. it's not being greedy, it's a way of life. if you're out there in the working world and trying to get a dollar for yourself, how awesome would it be to get more money on the side? i say anything is fair game. just turn a blind eye to the crappy ones, haha

BUT ALSO- theres no excuse for the ones who recolor other people's templates though. at least make your own, sheesh

Offline Kenny

«Reply #14: May 18, 2009, 12:12:06 AM»
i mean sure, they all look the same in basic shape and facial expression, but the point is that you don't have to pay 80 bucks for a design you may want that comes with art you DON'T want. hell, you could go out, buy the design, trash the base and go commission someone to draw a better picture.

BUT, that's just from my take on this whole bases thing. i do understand what you mean when people take free line art and recolor it.

i agree.

idk i dont think its really as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. boo hoo you didn't think of it first.
if the base designs were sold for 50 bux each, then i'd see a problem but no, people get what they pay for.

some people dont have 80+ to spend on designs so if they're satisfied with base designs then GOOD FOR THEM stop complaining.
there's been an all out decline in sales lately anyways so yay for those of you who are all bawing about it.

(/edit) agree with drug
Craig: what should my sig on faz be
Carnival: me
Joker: the jews have 44 athletes in the olympix

Offline pelki

«Reply #15: May 18, 2009, 10:54:14 AM»
personally I'm totally bummed out that I can't make quick digi-design templates.

B'AWR TRADITIONAL MATS fuckughfu,c.

Offline Catticus

«Reply #16: May 18, 2009, 11:14:59 AM»
Sure it might not be 'original' or 'artistic' for people to make and sell mass-produced designs -- but if people want to buy them, what the hell is the problem?  They know what they're getting.  The fact that many of us wouldn't buy them doesn't make a difference to the average furry who can't draw and thinks the design is cool.

Offline $kye

«Reply #17: May 18, 2009, 12:20:39 PM»
im not really concerned if people make their own templates and use them for designs to sell. atleast they made the lineart that theyre using.

im just curious i guess if its like some sort of weird theft if someones using lineart another person drew to sell a design??

Offline pelki

«Reply #18: May 18, 2009, 01:06:05 PM»

How else are legitimate artists going to keep up with the dime artists?

You know the ones, the ones that sell a portrait for 1sd, or 5sd or 1gd. I don't do commissions for portraits or anything like that because there's really no way for me, as an artist who spends between 6-8 hours on a portrait, to compete with artists selling stuff for 1gd or less. 6-8 hours of my time are worth more than 1 dollar

I know, right? ;A; omfg.

Offline Tate

«Reply #19: May 18, 2009, 01:29:00 PM»
Using mass produced art is a way for artists to deliver cheap artwork to their clientèle. There's nothing wrong with it so long as people are aware they're getting something that's not going to be exclusive to their characters.

How else are legitimate artists going to keep up with the dime artists?

You know the ones, the ones that sell a portrait for 1sd, or 5sd or 1gd. I don't do commissions for portraits or anything like that because there's really no way for me, as an artist who spends between 6-8 hours on a portrait, to compete with artists selling stuff for 1gd or less. 6-8 hours of my time are worth more than 1 dollar, I'd rather be playing wow or RPing if I'm going to make just a little under 20 cents an hour.

By making a nice premade portrait and selling some copies for 2gd, I might make a reasonable amount of money for time spent. It might actually cover the cost of my group package or something useful like that.

This is why I don't bother putting prices on my art, usually, unless it's a short thing. I allow people to come to me, and offer what they want for what they want me to do. Usually gets much higher offers than I'd ever get away with selling for on a day to day basis. Also makes me feel a tad more appreciated. >> butuhi'malsojustnotoneofthosepe oplewhositsaroundcompeti ngforcommissionswithothe rartists, becauseit'ssuchahugewasteoftimewit hsolittlepayoff.

uh. I think the moral wrongness of selling premade lineart not your own but with mspaint splashes on it has already been covered.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #20: May 18, 2009, 01:50:08 PM»
Even though there's really nothing wrong with people selling those template designs, I just find it as a cheap and lazy thing to do. I've only made a few premade designs for sale, but at least with each one I made my own, custom lineart for that individual design, not just take some already made blank figure of a body and throw on some colors and markings.
But hey, as long as people want to buy them, no harm done. I just don't agree with it :v

Offline Jenni

«Reply #21: May 18, 2009, 01:57:51 PM»
i really don't mind it. you're moreso buying the design rather than the art, so it doesn't really matter how it's presented.

Offline Kenny

«Reply #22: May 18, 2009, 02:37:11 PM»
i really don't mind it. you're moreso buying the design rather than the art, so it doesn't really matter how it's presented.

^^^^
Craig: what should my sig on faz be
Carnival: me
Joker: the jews have 44 athletes in the olympix

Sesruc

«Reply #23: May 18, 2009, 04:00:51 PM»
it's awesome that these people are getting the bang for their creativity (or lack thereof but still managing to produce something people will buy)  & color scheming. call them lazy, cheap, whatever but as long as they get customers i don't see why it isn't a good thing at least for them.
if they've got talent to produce one minute, granted good looking, designs that people will instantly grab for i believe that they have equal and plenty a satisfactory reason to sell them however they wish

and also what jenni said, you're buying the design

Offline Hugo

«Reply #24: May 18, 2009, 08:26:42 PM»
I think it's tacky. The only time I might approve is if you priced ridiculously low or gave some of the profits to the lineartist.

anything