turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Someone to help to teach me shade?  (Read 1234 times)

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
Someone to help to teach me shade?
«: March 03, 2008, 06:46:28 PM»
Ok, i'm tired of trying to shade and make things beautiful, because to me, its just hard.. O.o so i'm looking for someone to help me learn how to shade! If you want i'll post some of my none/poorly shaded work, so you cant help give me tips!

And these 4

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:56:09 PM by Jacki~ »

Offline Booker

Re: Someone to help me shade?
«Reply #1: March 03, 2008, 06:57:45 PM»
they actually aren't too bad, the only thing you should try to work on is shape. right now your shading looks a little flat. don't get me wrong, i'm still practicing shading myself so i'm probably not an expert, but i do have one tip.

when you start shading, try to start with a base color and then define certain shapes. i don't have a clean lineart, but i sketched this:

once you get something like that down in .fsh, it's easier to keep going.

hope that helps some lol

Sesruc

• Topic Author
Re: Someone to help to teach me shade?
«Reply #2: March 03, 2008, 07:52:01 PM»
one thing that is helpful, always choose a light source first

NOTE: that i only shaded the hair in these pictures!

it is easier to shade in the darkest colors first, add some highlights and go on from there to me
but i am not a terribly good shader either. D:

in this, the brightest colors are there just for you to see where the brightest areas should be for the light source that i choosed.

but here in most ports, people use a very generic shading similar to something like this i guess? if you look around, it is really, really, really common.

whipped all these up in two seconds. sorry if i crapped on your art! :C

Offline Tate

«Reply #3: March 03, 2008, 08:53:39 PM»
Here, I'll post two of my ports, enlarged, so you can take alook. Sorry that they're watermarked, and that it may make it hard to see. I hope seeing my shading can help some---I'm a bit too lazy to try and shade your ports. xD Shading takes like.. a few hours. xD

Tell me if it helps ya any. xD

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #4: March 03, 2008, 09:50:43 PM»
one thing that is helpful, always choose a light source first

NOTE: that i only shaded the hair in these pictures!

it is easier to shade in the darkest colors first, add some highlights and go on from there to me
but i am not a terribly good shader either. D:

in this, the brightest colors are there just for you to see where the brightest areas should be for the light source that i choosed.

but here in most ports, people use a very generic shading similar to something like this i guess? if you look around, it is really, really, really common.

whipped all these up in two seconds. sorry if i crapped on your art! :C

How'd you make the hair look prettyful? I wants to know! XD I dont think i could ever pull that off, even though i want to so bad ><

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: March 04, 2008, 04:29:26 PM»
oi thanks
i didn't think that they were that good! <3

but yeah. just practice with shadows, highlights, the flow of hair, etc.
i merely repeating things that you've probably heard a million times before.

andd. those were done with a regular photoshop brush, not pixel by pixel. if i had done that, it would take me forevas and the outcome would be entirely different!

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #6: March 04, 2008, 07:07:35 PM»
oi thanks
i didn't think that they were that good! <3

but yeah. just practice with shadows, highlights, the flow of hair, etc.
i merely repeating things that you've probably heard a million times before.

andd. those were done with a regular photoshop brush, not pixel by pixel. if i had done that, it would take me forevas and the outcome would be entirely different!

Ah i figured you probably used Photoshop, it looked to neat to be done pixel by pixel >< I should try that....i'll see if it helps me more..

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #7: March 04, 2008, 08:23:40 PM»
ahh, but do remember that if you do it in photoshop, and not pixel by pixel, it's not gunna remap.
i made that mistake before.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: March 05, 2008, 06:30:30 AM»
Actually, if you use it in photoshop and transfer it to FSH like i do, it remaps beautifully.

Anyways, i edited my feral one up there, and i wonder if this looks good on the hair:

Offline Sync

«Reply #9: March 05, 2008, 10:30:43 AM»
Actually, if you use it in photoshop and transfer it to FSH like i do, it remaps beautifully.

Anyways, i edited my feral one up there, and i wonder if this looks good on the hair:

it looks ok, but i would highly suggest using a light source instead of just trying to make it look 3d. it makes it look a million times better.

sorry bout the black and white. i'm better at shading without color
anndd just hope i didn't ruin them lol

Offline Glory

«Reply #10: March 05, 2008, 10:36:59 AM»
Another thing to remember is, notice how in that port the moon is nice and full and bright in the background? That would suggest your lighting source is going to be coming from above/behind depending on placement of ite. Just some things to help remember when doing backgrounds is to not actidently ruin your light source with candles/moons/reflective or bright objects that wont make sense with the shading angle.

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #11: March 05, 2008, 03:01:25 PM»
Another thing to remember is, notice how in that port the moon is nice and full and bright in the background? That would suggest your lighting source is going to be coming from above/behind depending on placement of ite. Just some things to help remember when doing backgrounds is to not actidently ruin your light source with candles/moons/reflective or bright objects that wont make sense with the shading angle.

Yeah, after i did that this morning, i looked at it and thought to erase the moon after i screenshotted the above picture. So, the moon is no longer in the port.

it looks ok, but i would highly suggest using a light source instead of just trying to make it look 3d. it makes it look a million times better.

sorry bout the black and white. i'm better at shading without color
anndd just hope i didn't ruin them lol

Heh.. i'm still not good at putting in a light source, but honestly, compared to my previous works with shading hair, i like it alot, but in the picture, it looks as if the light is coming from an angle from upper above, but not completely. So blah, and its hard to do something like that in photoshop at 5 in the morning XD And dont worry, i dont think anyone can slaughter the ports, theyre already bad themselves XD

Sesruc

• Topic Author
«Reply #12: March 05, 2008, 06:44:41 PM»
by photoshop, i meant using the brush tool. not the pencil tool. P:

if you use the pencil tool, in which you did. it does remap!

Jacki-Tomodachi

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: March 05, 2008, 07:21:29 PM»
by photoshop, i meant using the brush tool. not the pencil tool. P:

if you use the pencil tool, in which you did. it does remap!

I did use the brush tool, but when you transfer it over to FSH, it changes some of the colours, which i experienced when i tried it with the anthro port of myne, which it looked funky after wards and not as pretty XD

anything