turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

Should I attempt to integrate an Oekaki board into FAZ?

Yes
38 (90.5%)
No
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Oekaki Board?  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Narnia

Oekaki Board?
«: May 30, 2009, 06:30:54 AM»
Should I attempt to integrate an Oekaki board into FAZ?

Let me know your thoughts.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Sesruc

Re: Oekaki Board?
«Reply #1: May 30, 2009, 08:59:25 AM»
yes.
please include chibipaint though if you do. <_________<

Offline Narnia

«Reply #2: May 30, 2009, 10:19:13 AM»
It would be Wacintaki Poteto 1.4.2 with ChibiPaint included.

It'll take some work though because I want it to use the SMF account and not have you register separate. I'll work on it though.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Astell

«Reply #3: May 30, 2009, 11:48:04 AM»
Would there be a certain skill level/time limit required to use the board?

Offline Narnia

«Reply #4: May 30, 2009, 01:02:35 PM»
I doubt it.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #5: May 30, 2009, 01:24:06 PM»
i wonder where you got that idea #sr

Offline Narnia

«Reply #6: May 30, 2009, 01:29:40 PM»
If someone suggested it to me in the past, I don't remember exactly who. I stumbled across as port for phpBB that I think i can convert to SMF.

Offline Eevee

«Reply #7: May 30, 2009, 01:34:45 PM»
With as many users as we have it'd be best to limit oekaki entries to like a minimum of 30 minutes per drawing before submitting and 3 drawings per day otherwise you'd have over 100 unfinished drawings or doodles that only took 3 minutes.

That's usually what oekaki boards with alot of users do to prevent spam and unneeded space taken up.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #8: May 30, 2009, 01:36:23 PM»
Okay, well I'll take those kind of suggestions under advisement from our resident Oekaki pros here is I can get it to integrate cleanly.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #9: May 30, 2009, 01:46:08 PM»
i'd say 20 minutes. i've seen a lot of nice things come out before 30. :~(

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: May 30, 2009, 01:57:51 PM»
Well you could always draw for 20 minutes and spend the rest of the time admiring yourself.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #11: May 30, 2009, 02:27:50 PM»
Well you could always draw for 20 minutes and spend the rest of the time admiring yourself.

you could but i'm pretty sure that would run up bandwidth use.

Offline pix

«Reply #12: May 30, 2009, 04:31:43 PM»
yes, please.
look at all your different colored hats

Offline Narnia

«Reply #13: May 30, 2009, 05:17:21 PM»
Now if someone can just find out the call I need to integrate the SMF login/session ID into the Oekaki board.. lol

Offline Dolly

«Reply #14: May 30, 2009, 08:19:28 PM»
Can't help you there, I don't know shit about SMF boards.

However I will say I like this idea.  It will give people even more reason to visit FAZ and will make the site seem more like an art oriented community than just a forum for advertising.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #15: May 30, 2009, 10:52:36 PM»
I'm working on the integration. The person who ported it to phpBB had it mostly figured out so I just need to tweak the strings, I think.

If I ultimately can't solve the integration I may just put it on even though it will require a separate registration to use.

I hope I solve it though because then I can link the Oekaki images to your profile and display them just like the recent images.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #16: June 01, 2009, 03:59:27 PM»
I've made significant progress. Hopefully have it up on a test site by mid-week so that it can get some trial use to make sure that 1) the code is okay; and 2) the server supports it.

If all goes well it may be live by next week!

Offline Tate

«Reply #17: June 01, 2009, 09:57:53 PM»
(Of course you could make a limited use practice board and an unlimited use try-out board.. like most oekaki do. But the babies will bawww.

I'll be good.)

Offline Dolly

«Reply #18: June 01, 2009, 10:00:00 PM»
**makes a face**

Offline Tate

«Reply #19: June 01, 2009, 10:01:42 PM»
*Squints*

Gin

«Reply #20: June 01, 2009, 10:09:05 PM»
(Of course you could make a limited use practice board and an unlimited use try-out board.. like most oekaki do. But the babies will bawww.

I'll be good.)
What would be the point of this if it all just uploads to your galleries anyway?

Offline $kye

«Reply #21: June 01, 2009, 10:24:01 PM»
holy crap!! i havent used an oekaki in forever.

but yeah itd be awesome cuz oekaki-ing is fun and it makes the site more interactive beyond like.. forums and comments

Offline Tate

«Reply #22: June 02, 2009, 06:04:11 AM»

I'll be good.)
What would be the point of this if it all just uploads to your galleries anyway?

Most people can only create so many 'finished' pieces a day, which is what the try-out-for board would be for. You try out to prove you can use the oekaki and that you can make art with it. This board should have a time limit per drawing, but no drawing limits. The board would doubtfully become flooded, because firstly only so many people could draw on it, and then they'd have to take so much time. Plus, it'd mean it'd be a nice-to-look-at board.

Then you have the practice board. No one has to try out for it, there is no time limit, but you can only post like 3-5 drawings a day. Even with a limit, the board will easily be flooded. Most good art'd likely be lost quickly.

I only point this out because this site has a large amount of members. Even though your art goes to your gallery, it'd still be nice to have an oekaki where you can look through all the art posted, that doesn't disappear quickly. So those that draw on it to draw could have their art appreciated. How do you get approved to use it? The mods use their good judgement. It wouldn't be that you're a fantastic artist, but that you're there to actually draw, and not toss up a scribble that'll spam others off the page. And if you just want to scribble? Well, you still have the practice board.

Even if you made a separate showcase on the front page for oekaki art, it's still simple to say 'art' would be spammed away and 'scribbles' would be predominant, even with a time limit.

(oy do I remember oekaki central's practice board years ago when I was there... I'm not sure of their population compared to faz, but god damn your art zoomed away fast. Their registration was also normally CLOSED. Meaning people couldn't just make a new account and spam up more art. Do you actively watch for people with more than one account? Or does your site automatically catch them? Or could they just spam it up like crazy before you got 'em?)

I don't know. Mainly just suggesting something for pleasantness along side keeping from a giant spam-fest.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #23: June 02, 2009, 08:03:55 AM»
Mainly your suggestions are so you can maintain your own elitist perception of your art and I don't necessarily agree with that.

I haven't even managed to integrate the board into the site yet and you are already bawwwwwing about who will use it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:07:02 AM by Narnia »

Offline Tate

«Reply #24: June 02, 2009, 08:11:55 AM»
MY, I see the immaturity spreads. I offer up actual reasoning, and you snap back with a childish remark. I see my attempt to reason and offer a mature response is purely in vain.

Sorry you're so butthurt.

I also see no bawwwwwing there.

+edit: I've only bothered giving you that suggestion after having watched oekaki boards for about seven years. Take it or leave it in an immature fit of OMG UR ELITIST BAWWWWWWWWw.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:20:05 AM by Masha »

anything