turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: (Thanks to those who critiqued. :D)  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Suzy

(Thanks to those who critiqued. :D)
«: June 07, 2009, 05:07:11 PM»
I have a lot of work to do.

<3Cup
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:23:51 PM by Wings »

Offline Suzy

Re: Pricing, help me pwease!
«Reply #1: June 14, 2009, 04:21:10 PM»
:<

IPGD

«Reply #2: June 14, 2009, 05:30:54 PM»
I wouldn't pay more than 1GD for any of it if I had to pay at all, but I'm sure there's someone out there who will pay your prices. See my signature.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #3: June 14, 2009, 06:13:54 PM»
The style doesn't rub me the right way...but like Matter said, there's most likely somebody out there that would buy it. I personally wouldn't pay more than 1 GD.

Sesruc

«Reply #4: June 15, 2009, 02:10:19 PM»
I wouldn't pay more than 1GD for any of it if I had to pay at all

Offline Suzy

«Reply #5: June 16, 2009, 07:18:00 PM»
...I'm kinda sorry I asked. XD But yeah, I knew I'd be given shit for my anime style. Please, please PLEASE don't judge just because you don't like anime style. Is it at least GOOD anime style?

Offline Sync

«Reply #6: June 16, 2009, 07:41:43 PM»
not really. i'm sure you can stylize just fine but you don't look like you have enough of the basics down to make your style look good. it's not that we hate anime, it's just that so many artists jump on it before they know anything, and it reflects in their art. i'm guilty of it but now i'm in the group of 'you need to know how real life works before you exagerate it' or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:02:14 PM by Sync »

IPGD

«Reply #7: June 16, 2009, 07:44:50 PM»
I love anime. What you drew isn't anime, it's an attempt to imitate the stylistic principles of professionals with no regard towards the methods they used to achieve their success. This guy's anime work is easily worth hundreds of dollars, because he actually understands how to correctly apply style to a piece. I would pay for it. You do not understand how to correctly apply style to a piece, and as such, I would not pay for your work. This is the same answer I would give if you were trying to draw Marvel/DC style superheroes or any other kind of stylistic work.

If I'm to be perfectly honest, judging your art on its own merits, it's absolutely horrid. There's very little you have done right. At risk of sounding cruel, I laughed about it with a friend when I first saw your work; it's a perfect example of what happens when you blindly charge into the anime styleset with no previous considerations for what you actually have to do to be able to create an appealing work of art. You seriously need to reconsider your fixation with style and return to the basics, if you hope to actually improve. Don't highlight that if you don't want to hear anything but praise, seriously.

Edit: Of course, if you don't actually have any plans to get better, you don't have to listen to anything I say -- but you shouldn't get upset when someone's honest about your art's worth.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:48:31 PM by Matter »

Offline Suzy

«Reply #8: June 16, 2009, 09:01:28 PM»
I appreciate the critique, I really do, but could you point out some specifics for me? Just telling em I need to go back to the basics doesn't help me if I don't know what sort of basics you're talking about.

IPGD

«Reply #9: June 16, 2009, 09:11:08 PM»
1. Study the following first
  • Anatomy(muscle structure, bone structure, construction of objects)
  • Perspective(viewing angle, 1, 2 and 3 point perspectives)
  • Composition(placement of objects, focal points, viewing angle, overall feel)
2. Study the following next
  • Contrast(emphasization of opposites colors to create depth)
  • Light/Shadow(how light creates shadows and highlights)
  • Color Value(mood, atmosphere, how they affect a picture)
3. Study the following LAST
  • Creativity(concepts and imagination)
  • Style(proper exaggeration of the above basics of art)

Again, my signature has most of the information you need to get started (see the second link for book/tutorial recommendations).

Offline Suzy

«Reply #10: June 16, 2009, 09:14:48 PM»
Now THAT'S a helpful critique. Thank you very much, I'll use that link.

I'm not gonna BAAAAAW too much about it, but in the future, please try and be more helpful and less critical. In my opinion, the way you phrase your critiques will only discourage people who cannot take such things with a grain of salt. I mean, that's just my opinion, but I found your last post more helpful than the one in which you told me you laughed at my art with a friend.

<3

IPGD

«Reply #11: June 16, 2009, 09:43:46 PM»
Now THAT'S a helpful critique. Thank you very much, I'll use that link.

I'm not gonna BAAAAAW too much about it, but in the future, please try and be more helpful and less critical. In my opinion, the way you phrase your critiques will only discourage people who cannot take such things with a grain of salt. I mean, that's just my opinion, but I found your last post more helpful than the one in which you told me you laughed at my art with a friend.

<3
Why do you think I spoiler tagged it and told you to only highlight it if you could handle it? Almost 40% of my posts are in the Gallery/Critique forums, this is not the first time this has come up. I know it's harsh and I know not everyone can deal with it, which is why I made you work to look at it. I gave you fair warning -- it's your own fault if you read it knowing you cannot handle it. Some people do appreciate my honest opinion, which is why I am not going to start lying when this system works just as well. Sometimes, after a long history of being babied and showered with praise, you need someone to kick you in the ass to get you back on the right track -- that's my job. The rest of you guys can handle the sugarcoated candy critique. (and for a trip back to the past, try reading my posts here to see my reasoning. I've been in enough repetitive arguments today to last me a lifetime, would rather not start another when I can just repost repost repost)

I also told you to look at my signature from the very start (which also contains those "rules" in the bottom link). There's a reason I always post those two pages together! (... if you can't figure it out, it's because the second is a direct followup meant to start you out if you decide to return to the basics like the first link suggests.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:49:17 PM by Matter »

Offline Suzy

«Reply #12: June 16, 2009, 10:21:08 PM»
All I'm saying is that I don't appreciate things like hearing about my art being made into a joke. That kind of detail is not helpful at all. I can handle harsh critique when it isn't blatantly worded in a way that is malicious.

There are ways to get people "on the right track" that don't involve making them feel like shit for pieces that they put a lot of time and effort into. Since you're definitely capable of creating great art, why don't you instruct the people you critique directly instead of waving a couple of links at them laced with "your art is shit"?

I think that, with that said, I'm going to bow out of this SRS BIZNISS argument now. I hope that some day I can improve myself and create pieces that are acceptable to a wider audience, and I'm sorry I can't deliver that now. There's only so much a 15 year old girl with no formal training can do.

I'll thank you again for the critique, though. I can tell that you really care about art, and I know your intentions are good in the long run. I just don't agree with your style of critique.

(By the way, your art is gorgeous. Just thought I'd say so. :P)

Offline Anarchy

Re: Pricing, help me pwease! (Thanks to those who critiqued. :D)
«Reply #13: June 17, 2009, 12:04:03 AM»
I've seen fifteen year olds do amazing work...

His last name is Butt.

What I'm saying is, don't let your age get you down. I used to think because I was young my abilities were limited, but really, the younger you are the easier it is, trust me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:11:10 AM by Anarchy »

Offline Suzy

«Reply #14: June 17, 2009, 01:05:51 PM»
I've seen fifteen year olds do amazing work...

His last name is Butt.

What I'm saying is, don't let your age get you down. I used to think because I was young my abilities were limited, but really, the younger you are the easier it is, trust me.

Lol, that's kind of funny. You're right, I shouldn't use my age as an excuse. Perhaps it's more of the lack of years I have been really actively drawing?

IPGD

«Reply #15: June 17, 2009, 02:50:03 PM»
Perhaps it's more of the lack of years I have been really actively drawing?
Not really. See this guy:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870 (2002)
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870&page=50 (2005)

And then there are people who haven't improved at all in ten years, like Sapphirus.

Your skill is 100% what you put into it. Someone who works hard and knows what they have to do to get to the top will progress quicker than someone who jerks off and stews in their own complacent arrogance instead of making a genuine effort to improve.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #16: June 17, 2009, 03:51:35 PM»
Your skill is 100% what you put into it. Someone who works hard and knows what they have to do to get to the top will progress quicker than someone who jerks off and stews in their own complacent arrogance instead of making a genuine effort to improve.

I suppose so. I should be trying harder to improve. You know, I like how you find links and such that back up your points. The one you just posted is really interesting.

Right now, I'm looking through the tutorials and stuff on your page- specifically, the one about light. Oh my god I'm in love. XD How much of an idiot am I for not seeing these things?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:06:33 PM by Wings »