turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Portrait Critique S'il Vous Plait?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Zeltard

Portrait Critique S'il Vous Plait?
«: June 12, 2009, 09:21:25 AM»
I've been playing around with myshading, and I'm still not quite happy with it. Its either too much dithering, or not enough. I need a bit of help with the hair too. I can't get the shading to fit well with my light source, and for it to look good at the same time.
Heres my most recent portrait:

I'm mostly looking for help with the clothing, and the hair; but anatomy and pricing help is welcome. (I charge $5/5GD per port.)
Help is loved. ~Button

Offline Tate

Re: Portrait Critique S'il Vous Plait?
«Reply #1: June 12, 2009, 12:12:20 PM»

I took a shot at it. Hope you don't mind a redline.. or blue. whatever. http://i41.tinypic.com/5nownb.png to see it bigger if you don't know how to enlarge an image on this forum.

Offline Zeltard

«Reply #2: June 12, 2009, 05:13:58 PM»

I took a shot at it. Hope you don't mind a redline.. or blue. whatever. http://i41.tinypic.com/5nownb.png to see it bigger if you don't know how to enlarge an image on this forum.

Wow, that really helped. I knew I couldn't get the arms and shoulders right; and I was lacking a lot of shading. The ears were lower only because that's the way the character was; but I think it looks better on top. Thank you greatly for your help. I think, thanks to you my next port will look a lot better.

Sesruc

«Reply #3: June 12, 2009, 08:56:32 PM»

one thing you should refrain from is tube torso

Offline Tate

«Reply #4: June 12, 2009, 09:38:52 PM»

one thing you should refrain from is tube torso

Heh, not everyone is skinny. But, yeah, I was a tad lazy. did a quick scribble to fix some major points.

hope these two helped.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #5: June 13, 2009, 12:03:27 AM»
Heh, not everyone is skinny.

what does this have to do with anything at all??

Offline Tate

«Reply #6: June 13, 2009, 12:18:35 AM»

The fact that more heavier people are more 'tube shaped' as she calls it. How dares I suggest such a thing.

IPGD

«Reply #7: June 13, 2009, 12:50:15 AM»

The fact that more heavier people are more 'tube shaped' as she calls it. How dares I suggest such a thing.
Heavy people aren't "tube shaped" at all. Even so, it's less about what actual shape their body is and consciously not drawing it as a tube. A 800 pound blimp has the same bones as a 65 pound Ethiopian, and your structure should reflect that.

Offline binkari

«Reply #8: June 13, 2009, 04:36:28 PM»
The major thing that makes value establishment in this picture difficult is the markings--especially when one half of her face is one color and the other is another. Different colors have different values by default (for example, yellow paint straight out of the tube is a much lighter value than, say, blue), so depending on which colors you're using to remap, the values may get futzed up even if the shading looked fine on the original portrait. Putting two highly contrasted colors together is going to make values difficult to differentiate.

My advice? Be careful with the colors you choose to remap (pick colors that are similar in default values), even after you fix up the shading.

IPGD

«Reply #9: June 13, 2009, 05:05:04 PM»
The major thing that makes value establishment in this picture difficult is the markings--especially when one half of her face is one color and the other is another. Different colors have different values by default (for example, yellow paint straight out of the tube is a much lighter value than, say, blue), so depending on which colors you're using to remap, the values may get futzed up even if the shading looked fine on the original portrait. Putting two highly contrasted colors together is going to make values difficult to differentiate.

My advice? Be careful with the colors you choose to remap (pick colors that are similar in default values), even after you fix up the shading.
Or you can just cheese it #SQ

Offline binkari

«Reply #10: June 13, 2009, 10:33:48 PM»

Or you can just cheese it #SQ

Doesn't quite solve the problem that if you want one half of the face to be black and the other half to be white, the black half is always going to look much darker, especially given the limited range of Furcadia's remap palette. The contrast mindf*** that ensues may very well make the entire face look flat.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #11: June 17, 2009, 03:58:49 PM»
Those red (or blue whatever) lines are really helpful. I learned a bit. :3

The ears were lower only because that's the way the character was; but I think it looks better on top.

That's Hailee, right? She may have showed you the picture I did for her. I tend to draw the ears really low like that, LOL. I like to attach the ears like that since they're basically replacing human ears on my more humanoid furries (a.k.a. the only furries I can draw for beans). However, since the ears themselves are bigger than human ears, I have to stretch the area on which they are attached. I hope this is making sense. XD It creates a rather awkward effect. I have yet to figure out how I should be attaching the ears.

I wonder if there is a tutorial or reference or something showing the placement of animal ears on the human skull. *googles it*

Offline Azula

«Reply #12: June 17, 2009, 09:23:36 PM»
Those red (or blue whatever) lines are really helpful. I learned a bit. :3

The ears were lower only because that's the way the character was; but I think it looks better on top.

That's Hailee, right? She may have showed you the picture I did for her. I tend to draw the ears really low like that, LOL. I like to attach the ears like that since they're basically replacing human ears on my more humanoid furries (a.k.a. the only furries I can draw for beans). However, since the ears themselves are bigger than human ears, I have to stretch the area on which they are attached. I hope this is making sense. XD It creates a rather awkward effect. I have yet to figure out how I should be attaching the ears.

I wonder if there is a tutorial or reference or something showing the placement of animal ears on the human skull. *googles it*

you put them on top of the head. like, you know.. where you find an animal's ears..

Offline Suzy

«Reply #13: June 17, 2009, 10:06:44 PM»
you put them on top of the head. like, you know.. where you find an animal's ears..

Yes, but at what angle, and if given to a human, at what proportions? That sort of thing. It could be found by just observing animals, I suppose.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #14: June 17, 2009, 10:35:33 PM»
Yes, but at what angle, and if given to a human, at what proportions? That sort of thing. It could be found by just observing animals, I suppose.

I remember some dumb old animu thing I saw years ago that actually helped me out a lot -- from the nose to the tips of both ears should be about a 45 degree angle. That only really helps for head-on shots, unfortunately.

You can kinda see it there. lol cats

Offline Suzy

«Reply #15: June 18, 2009, 12:26:03 AM»
Oh, woah. That helps already. :3 Thank you. <3

anything