turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: help with this please  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Kaylour

help with this please
«: June 20, 2009, 09:01:25 AM»
Another example

just the lineart, its supposed to be a warrah (a specie of fox or a small wolf)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:32:48 PM by Kaylour »

Offline Suzy

Re: Price please
«Reply #1: June 20, 2009, 11:05:14 AM»
I'd pay 1 or 2 GD. Maybe. Frankly, you need to research how to shade fur. The face shading also seems to have too much highlight to it. The shout also seems like it's in the wrong position on its face. The angle is just awkward. Otherwise, you're off to a good start. :) That's just my opinion, anyway.

Edit: I think the ears need a little work, too. They seem very cat-like to me. I can't draw wolves for beans, though, so I couldn't really help you there. ;_; Just start using references for practice, I guess.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #2: June 20, 2009, 11:43:17 AM»
Yea I would work on a few things before taking paid commissions.

The eyes look nice on this, try pointing the muzzle straight forward since the eyes are toward the viewer. Also look at a few pictures of wolves/dogs to get an idea of where ears go.

Also, that dog looks scaled, sorry to say. And unless it is a dragon, you may wish to revise how you shade fur. Fur is wild, it doesn't usually follow a strict pattern like scales do. When you think of fur, think of hair. it curves and flows along the body.

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #3: June 20, 2009, 01:22:48 PM»
If you aren't getting at least 10 commissions when you set your price right away in the first day or two, then don't bring it up. I agree with the others. I probably wouldn't pay for a port like this, as I'm picky over ferals since...a lot of people do them.

Offline Creek

«Reply #4: June 20, 2009, 02:21:30 PM»
I wouldnt take commissions yet if I were you. I'd continue to practice with shading techniques, and learning basic anatomy and learning where to place things correctly. From the angle youre trying to get in that portrait, it seems to have failed a bit.

Seems to be the angle you want. Look at the positions of the ears, muzzle, and eyes. Looking at real life pictures WILL help you.

Offline Kaylour

«Reply #5: June 20, 2009, 02:58:13 PM»
Thank all for your comments, the fur effect is very hard to me  do it correctly and Ostara, i was following that picture when i was making the portrait, just i try to modify it a little just to avoid the ''omg, you stole someone's pose''

IPGD

«Reply #6: June 20, 2009, 03:26:13 PM»
Your problem with fur is that you're shading each tuft as if it's on the same flat plane. The fur, along with the form of body, should get darker as it receeds from the light source. See the book/tutorial link in my sig.

p.s. You really don't have to use three theft-prevention methods on the same picture. A 7% transparency rainbow gradient is enough to effectively fuck up a port's colors; you don't need a sample watermark and jpeg artifacting on top of it. Unless you're churning out Da Vincis, I seriously doubt anyone is going to desire to steal your portraits so badly that you need to resort to using more than one.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #7: June 20, 2009, 03:58:47 PM»
p.s. You really don't have to use three theft-prevention methods on the same picture. A 7% transparency rainbow gradient is enough to effectively fuck up a port's colors; you don't need a sample watermark and jpeg artifacting on top of it. Unless you're churning out Da Vincis, I seriously doubt anyone is going to desire to steal your portraits so badly that you need to resort to using more than one.

Especially when people are saying that they don't think you should be taking paid commissions. If they wouldn't pay for it, why steal it? What's the point?

Offline Creek

«Reply #8: June 20, 2009, 09:06:47 PM»
Thank all for your comments, the fur effect is very hard to me  do it correctly and Ostara, i was following that picture when i was making the portrait, just i try to modify it a little just to avoid the ''omg, you stole someone's pose''

You really cant 'steal' a pose. There are so many things an animal/human can do. And There are tons of ports out there with the same pose. Its nothing new. You should follow the photo, use several, otherwise when you decide to alter the muzzle area, it ends up being way to far down, especially at the angle youre at.

Offline Kaylour

Re: help with this please
«Reply #9: July 27, 2009, 06:35:03 PM»
another example c>

Offline Suzy

«Reply #10: July 27, 2009, 06:52:54 PM»
The pose is boring.

Offline Creek

«Reply #11: July 27, 2009, 06:53:40 PM»
Just a question. Do you use refs when you do these? If not, Do so.

The animal may be extinct, but this is a site explaining the species and giving taxidermy examples of the species enough for reference. If you still have trouble, look at the closer relatives of the species.

WHEN DOING AN EXTINCT ANIMAL, SEE IF THERE IS TAXIDORMY AVAILABLE. There are a few pictures of Taxidormies on this site. Use them. http://www.messybeast.com/extinct/warrah.htm

Bare with me on this, I havent done a feral in about a year, but the eye was way to far to the right, the neck was too thin, and the ear was slightly mishaped, and too long for that species. If you want it to be that species, make it according to its specs. They have short ears, and large heads.

[Sorry for the jpeged affect]

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:19:07 PM by Ostara »

Offline Kaylour

«Reply #12: July 27, 2009, 07:34:34 PM»

Offline Tate

«Reply #13: July 27, 2009, 07:39:57 PM»
Shouldn't use art, even educational art, as a reference, where possible. Even they make mistakes (a lot more than you'd think), and may portray something wrongly (often). Use photos as refs. :x

IPGD

«Reply #14: July 27, 2009, 07:48:34 PM»
Draw what you see, not what you think you see. Pay attention to the exact contours and details instead of simplifying the forms into symbols. You don't have to reproduce your reference exactly, but it's important that you capture its most definitive forms in order to achieve likeness.

Shouldn't use art, even educational art, as a reference, where possible. Even they make mistakes (a lot more than you'd think), and may portray something wrongly (often). Use photos as refs. :x
The animal she's trying to draw is extinct, so I don't think she has any other option.

Offline Tate

«Reply #15: July 27, 2009, 09:08:49 PM»
The animal she's trying to draw is extinct, so I don't think she has any other option.

Bolded quote. Also thought it was just another dumb fox. Might as well just use a modern reference from a similar creature, and use the drawing for anything special, if it's such a bland and common looking animal

Offline Creek

«Reply #16: July 27, 2009, 11:18:02 PM»
Draw what you see, not what you think you see. Pay attention to the exact contours and details instead of simplifying the forms into symbols. You don't have to reproduce your reference exactly, but it's important that you capture its most definitive forms in order to achieve likeness.

I gave a site that has Taxidormies of the extinct animals. Otherwise she can ref off of animals similiar such as domestic dogs and foxes.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #17: July 28, 2009, 08:11:44 PM»
What is your motivation for choosing an extinct mammal instead of something normal?

Because "something normal" gets boring sometimes? Not that this species seems terribly different.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #18: July 29, 2009, 07:40:35 AM»
If it weren't just a fox/wolf, if it were, say...a thylacine, I'd understand wanting to break out of what's everyday and normal and boring. But this thing?

References are your friend, for sure.

Offline Cornelius

«Reply #19: July 29, 2009, 08:25:44 AM»
Ok 50% chance Im gonna say something stupid but

Is there a light source? Or is it those types where you have an 'invisible' light source then add it in when you make the background.
Or is it those with like.. color backgrounds.

The left eye looks kind of awkward, and so does the ear. Might just be me, also the legs, shouldnt the other leg be visible if the Warrah is standing like that?

I apologize If I say something stupid, I didn't get my daily sleep.

Offline Creek

«Reply #20: July 29, 2009, 12:14:18 PM»

Is there a light source? Or is it those types where you have an 'invisible' light source then add it in when you make the background.

Its just a wip line-art, so you can see any lightsources. theyre wanting crits before they start shading.

Offline Cornelius

«Reply #21: July 29, 2009, 12:21:29 PM»

Its just a wip line-art, so you can see any lightsources. theyre wanting crits before they start shading.

Ah xD.

Ok, sorting out that lighting part.
Id recommend at least fixing that eye and ear.

Offline Pango

«Reply #22: July 29, 2009, 01:37:22 PM»
Hello there!
I think I might end up being a little nicer than the others, but I'll get my point across without candycoating it too much.

For things that are completely unfamiliar, I'll use a reference. Canines for me are basically impossible no matter how hard I try to draw them. I can't even trace the mofos.

So I decided I'd offer something different to the community. I'll offer monsters and women. I can't really draw much else.

Anyway, I will say that canines don't seem to be your strong point. That's okay- Too many artists draw canines anyway. It's very common no matter where you look.

You can always try something different for the Furcadia community and see where it gets you.

As for criticising the wolf... dog... thing (I forgot the name, oops), I have no standing and shouldn't. Canine anatomy eludes me.

anything