turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Freebie Line-art designs  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Creek

Freebie Line-art designs
«: July 13, 2009, 07:27:50 PM»
Now, this seems to be a new trend since the new "Premade Designs" category was made. Personally, it honestly pisses me off. There is no originality to re-using templetes, but its even worse when you use someone else's templetes.

It makes me believe these people think flat colours and designs are worth something for just COLOURING these line-arts that wasnt even their work. I can understand if you just colour them for your character, or use them for practice, but selling them, that should be an automactic NO. I think if you're going to make a premade design, make it yourself atleast, not go on FA, DA or wherethefuckever to snag some freebie-lineart to colour and sell for profit when all they did was slap some simple flat colour on them.

To my line-arts, I'd rather have original, clean new lines, not some crap I can find on DA and do myself. I'd rather my designs be unique in their own way, have the artist put effort into the line-art, and get money for their work, not just slapping on some random colours and calling it good. People work hard enough as it is for their line-arts for their designs, and then there's these people that randomly come up with these line-arts from Deviantart, not putting ANY effort into the premade, and expect alot of money for them. I'd rather buy something I know the artist put effort into, than something that was whipped up in 15 minutes.

What are your opinions? Should this be honestly allowed, or should we work to stop this from becoming a ridiculous trend?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:33:38 PM by Ostara »

Offline Hugo

Re: Freebie Line-art designs
«Reply #1: July 13, 2009, 08:02:40 PM»
I think there was a thread about this already and it was decided that you're buying the design and not the art.

Offline Creek

«Reply #2: July 13, 2009, 08:26:01 PM»
I think there was a thread about this already and it was decided that you're buying the design and not the art.
That was about re-using the same templete. This is using SOMEONE else's freebie line-art. Making a profit off of someone else's hard work into making a freebie line-art for all to use.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #3: July 13, 2009, 09:10:24 PM»
Oh I see. Unless the buyer and the artist are both informed and approve of it, then yes it's wrong.

Erde

«Reply #4: July 16, 2009, 02:01:19 PM»
This frustrates me to no end because, despite the design POSSIBLY being creative, it's probably been done before, and the fact they're making just color changes to a PREMADE lineart. What really grinds my gears about it though is that people ACTUALLY BUY these things, instead of taking the same lineart and recoloring it into something they deem "creative."  The fact some people are so blatantly unoriginal that they have to buy a recolored template and say it's their character makes me wonder why they would even go to Furcadia, which in ways is based on character development.

If you're too uncreative to come up with your own COLORS to a PREMADE TEMPLATE, you should not be on a game where "Imagination Soars."

Offline Sebbi

«Reply #5: July 22, 2009, 02:26:48 PM»
Oh I see. Unless the buyer and the artist are both informed and approve of it, then yes it's wrong.

QFE.
It doesn't bother me if the aforementioned has been reached.
It's a matter of supply and demand; if all parties are in agreement to the purchase of a piece of art then that's just tough shit for everyone else.

Here's an analogy:

Fred plants an apple tree, tends to it, and apples grow (i.e. draws the picture). Fred offers apples to anyone for free. Bob shows up and takes the time to pick all of the apples (i.e. color the picture) before turning to Fred and saying, "Can I sell these apples?" (i.e. reselling the art). Fred says yes, and Bob goes on to sell the apples.
Now Mary wants to buy the apples. Bob tells Mary how he picked the apples from Fred's tree for free and is now reselling them. Mary is 100% okay with this and goes on to buy the apples.

anything