turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Cap'n is gone D:  (Read 983 times)

Offline Sebbi

The Cap'n is gone D:
«: July 24, 2009, 03:07:23 PM»
A few of you know about the baby bird I raised, Cap'n Jack Sparrow (I know, not the most creative, but that's what everyone at the hospital agreed on).

She was a tiny, barely feathered little thing that was dropped off one night thirty minutes after we closed. Her sibling had already passed...

She ended up doing great. I learned so much from her as she grew up, and her adult feathers were absolutely lovely. I was especially proud when she began to eat on her own and hunt the crickets I bought for her!

Last night my partner and I came up to give her one last feeding before bed. We could tell there was something not quite right immediately. When we took her out she was breathing heavily and she wouldn't perch. At first I suspected a vitamin A deficiency, but the next morning she was sneezing and it just got worse and worse.

I took her to work with me and we tried to give her fluids under the skin with some vitamin B, but she passed away. We verified the pneumonia after fluid poured out of her mouth.

It's such a powerless feeling when something dies in your hands. I deal with it at least once a week (animal hospital) and it never, and will never, get 'easier' or 'less painful'.

She had a lot of love surrounding her in her final moments, and tomorrow me and her other mommy (another tech and dear friend that did the raising with me) are going to bury her.

So, R.I.P. Cap'n, aka the thing that shits and eats all of the time. :(

Offline Hugo

Re: The Cap'n is gone D:
«Reply #1: July 24, 2009, 05:50:16 PM»
Had this experience a lot when I was a kid. We had a bird feeder out back and bushes for nesting birds so whenever an injured/abandoned one would come by we'd raise it until it grew up or, more often, died.

Offline Sebbi

«Reply #2: July 24, 2009, 07:36:32 PM»
Had this experience a lot when I was a kid. We had a bird feeder out back and bushes for nesting birds so whenever an injured/abandoned one would come by we'd raise it until it grew up or, more often, died.

As a kid my older sister and I tried to raise a bunch of myna birds and ultimately failed. D:

This one would have been okay if it had not aspirated any fluids. D: And a doctor I work with wanted to euth it right away. I at least gave the darn thing a chance!

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #3: July 24, 2009, 07:55:14 PM»
I had a parrot named lemons that i had since i was really little. Last year he got outside one day and we never found him again! So yeah, I know your pain, its hard losing a pet, especially because at least to me, it makes you feel like you could have done something to prevent it. But these things happen, its just something you have to accept  :(

Offline Sebbi

«Reply #4: July 24, 2009, 08:57:54 PM»
I had a parrot named lemons that i had since i was really little. Last year he got outside one day and we never found him again! So yeah, I know your pain, its hard losing a pet, especially because at least to me, it makes you feel like you could have done something to prevent it. But these things happen, its just something you have to accept  :(

Awe D:
When I was little I let someone's cockatiels go...Dx
I didn't know any better, but I thought I was liberating the caged beast! Yeah, my parents were 'liberated' of 80 bucks and me a whole summer to chores after that.

And my childhood parakeet died in my hands...

GEEZ. I should just like stay the FUCK away from birds. I must be the fucking grim to them or something ;_;

I feel much better now, though. My partner and I leashed up the cats and we went to the beach and played on the rocks! Then...I had an amazing lobster roll. It helped to calm my rattled nerves. ^^

Offline Sebbi

«Reply #5: July 25, 2009, 03:18:42 PM»
it's interesting that birds can contract pneumonia, sort of like fish and tuberculosis. i can only imagine what it must be like for them.

rest in peace, little birdy! at least she was loved.

Yeah, it is really, really weird. From the symptoms, it didn't look comfortable. She'd get so winded easily and I know how that feels to not be able to breath very well!

She was sooooo loved. Even when we were placing the needle for her fluids I was right there whispering how much I loved her and how brave she was being for the whole thing.

Thank you ;_; I just wish more people could have been touched by her story, she survived through the roughest part of her life like a champ.

anything