turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Price me? :D  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Pango

Price me? :D
«: July 28, 2009, 05:54:39 PM»
I think I might be either under pricing or over pricing.

I need good prices that are suitable for both the commissionee and worth the effort for the commissioner.

Every image is clickable to see a bigger version.

Sketches:
These are just plain black sketches on a colored canvas of your choice.

Cutout Style Portraits:
These are nonremap.

Pixel Portraits:
These are either nonremap or remap.

References:
This one is currently for sale, but all of them will look something like this.

Busts:

These are probably what I do most often and very fun, if I do say so myself.

More artwork here.

What do y'all think?
Be honest. I'm not asking you to buy any, I just want some opinions so I can get a judgement on how much to charge.

btw guys
If you wanna tell me I'm a loser at art,
sorta be nice about it.

I know my art has narrow shoulders and long necks and limbs,
that's what I like in art. Don't go bitchin' at me for it lmao
I love the way I draw, really #SO

plz and thx.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:32:54 PM by Pango »

IPGD

Re: Price me? :D
«Reply #1: July 28, 2009, 07:09:34 PM»
based just on those pieces:

sketches: 2-5
ports: 5-10
references: 5-8
busts: 2-3

Though I don't think I would personally buy any of them. The cutout portrait is probably the best of what you've posted, but it has more to do with the better anatomus than the way you colored it.

Liking long necks and narrow shoulders is not an excuse for not knowing what necks and shoulders look like to begin with, bra. Learn what the standard is before you deviate from it, because not only am I thinking "wow, those are very long necks and narrow shoulders", I'm thinking "wow, this person doesn't understand the muscle or bone structure of necks and shoulders, and it wouldn't look like they did even if they were normally proportioned". Learning cannot possibly hurt you, don't let "style" hold you back.

I'm not sure if you want critique so I'm not going to go any further in depth than that.

Offline Pango

«Reply #2: July 28, 2009, 07:16:01 PM»
based just on those pieces:

references: 5-8
busts: 2-3

Though I don't think I would personally buy any of them. The cutout portrait is probably the best of what you've posted, but it has more to do with the better anatomus than the way you colored it.

Liking long necks and narrow shoulders is not an excuse for not knowing what necks and shoulders look like to begin with, bra. Learn what the standard is before you deviate from it, because not only am I thinking "wow, those are very long necks and narrow shoulders", I'm thinking "wow, this person doesn't understand the muscle or bone structure of necks and shoulders, and it wouldn't look like they did even if they were normally proportioned". Learning cannot possibly hurt you, don't let "style" hold you back.

I'm not sure if you want critique so I'm not going to go any further in depth than that.

Really? I am incredibly overcharging and now I feel like a terrible artist because of your comment.
And no I suppose I don't understand anatomy whatsoever.

IPGD

«Reply #3: July 28, 2009, 07:39:33 PM»
Really? I am incredibly overcharging and now I feel like a terrible artist because of your comment.
I think you already know I have higher standards than most people. If you're charging more and people are actually paying for it, there's not much of a reason to lower your prices.

In any case, you can get better by studying and practicing. There are plenty of links in my signature that can help you towards that end.

Offline Pango

«Reply #4: July 28, 2009, 08:23:42 PM»
I think you already know I have higher standards than most people. If you're charging more and people are actually paying for it, there's not much of a reason to lower your prices.

In any case, you can get better by studying and practicing. There are plenty of links in my signature that can help you towards that end.

I can only improve. Sorry for acting so hurt, I guess it caught me off guard.

Offline Pango

«Reply #5: July 29, 2009, 01:27:20 PM»
Anybody else? :/

Offline Sedde

«Reply #6: July 29, 2009, 01:31:51 PM»
I gotta admit, I pretty much agree with Matter.

Offline Pango

«Reply #7: July 29, 2009, 01:38:00 PM»
I gotta admit, I pretty much agree with Matter.
Really? Oh.
I'll stop selling art then.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #8: July 29, 2009, 01:41:57 PM»
That's not what we're saying -- at least, not what I'M saying. It kinda seems like you're getting butthurt over our answers, even though neither of us said "THESE ARE WORTH 0 GD OR PAYPAL YOU SUCK" or anything along those lines.

We gave pricing, and that's what you asked for. o_o

Offline Pango

«Reply #9: July 29, 2009, 01:45:04 PM»
That's not what we're saying -- at least, not what I'M saying. It kinda seems like you're getting butthurt over our answers, even though neither of us said "THESE ARE WORTH 0 GD OR PAYPAL YOU SUCK" or anything along those lines.

We gave pricing, and that's what you asked for. o_o

Well, I charged a ton more than what you said.
I just feel like a scammer now lol
So I'll stop altogether

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #10: July 29, 2009, 01:45:57 PM»
No one said stop drawing art o-o...I mostly agree with matter too just because I wouldn't pay much for art since I have a limited amount of money, as I'm sure a lot of people do if they live alone with the economy how it is.

references: 10-15
busts: 2-5

Those are the prices I'd go with. But its always up to the artist themselves. If you get too many requests at your current price then bring them up and see how it goes. If you don't get enough lower the prices.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #11: July 29, 2009, 02:00:19 PM»
Your skills are about average to above average on FAZ. I see no reason for you to stop selling.

IPGD

«Reply #12: July 29, 2009, 02:35:21 PM»
If you didn't want to know, you shouldn't have asked.

Offline Pango

«Reply #13: July 29, 2009, 08:44:31 PM»

Offline Creek

«Reply #14: July 29, 2009, 08:48:49 PM»
Try them out Pang :3 If you get more sales, then you're fine, if you get too many, up it alittle, not alot, lower it.

Offline Pango

«Reply #15: July 29, 2009, 09:08:55 PM»
I'd consider paying for a sketch because that's where I see potential.

I probably wouldn't consider anything else, though if you worked on your 'cutout ports' and added shading to them, they might be sellable.

Like this, only better and not so lazily done:

Well, the cutout-port was supposed to be construction-paper esque, so you can't really shade too much....

Offline binkari

«Reply #16: July 30, 2009, 10:54:14 AM»
I really do like the cutout portrait-- it's the best in the bunch.

That's not to say that it can't be improved upon (either the one you posted or future ones in a similar style). Since you're not shading, the portrait relies on the contrast in value between shapes. Take a quick glance at the portrait--no longer than a second or two: notice how the shirt and hair sort of blend into the background? If you can't discern distinct shapes at first sight, you'll probably need to up the contrast. It's why we put lines around things.

http://shojikoto.deviantart.com/art/The-Dragon-of-Smoke-Silkscreen-111201875

This is just something I searched up after typing in "silkscreen" or something, just to illustrate my point. Notice how you can immediately tell what it is--WHOA Smoke! WHOA Snow-covered mountain! It's because they made good use of contrast in order to define shapes.

So how does this apply to your portrait? My take: either make the background (or put a line around the figure) really dark, or much lighter so it really lets the figure pop out. Up the saturation (make the colors more vibrant) on the figure's colors and mute the background (more greyish) to bring the figure forward even more.

Offline Pango

«Reply #17: July 30, 2009, 12:30:55 PM»

That's not to say that it can't be improved upon (either the one you posted or future ones in a similar style). Since you're not shading, the portrait relies on the contrast in value between shapes. Take a quick glance at the portrait--no longer than a second or two: notice how the shirt and hair sort of blend into the background? If you can't discern distinct shapes at first sight, you'll probably need to up the contrast. It's why we put lines around things.

This is just something I searched up after typing in "silkscreen" or something, just to illustrate my point. Notice how you can immediately tell what it is--WHOA Smoke! WHOA Snow-covered mountain! It's because they made good use of contrast in order to define shapes.

So how does this apply to your portrait? My take: either make the background (or put a line around the figure) really dark, or much lighter so it really lets the figure pop out. Up the saturation (make the colors more vibrant) on the figure's colors and mute the background (more greyish) to bring the figure forward even more.

I really like the way you explained that. I knew something was lacking but I couldn't quite tell.
Thank you.

Offline Sebbi

«Reply #18: July 30, 2009, 08:39:56 PM»

I really like the way you explained that. I knew something was lacking but I couldn't quite tell.
Thank you.

I second that! Binkari did a fab job.

I am going to go with the pixel port and the cutout.

Cutout: I think with Binkari's improvement suggestions it could possibly go for 7gd, but if it were more shaded and all that, I could see it going for more! I love the round face, the hair, the etc. I think it's damn adorable!

Pixel: First off, I LOVE THE BACKGROUND. Did you do that? It's lovely! I'm jealous D: I think the head-to-body proportions are off, so unfortunately that does take it down to about 3gd max for me. The breasts are a little lopsided (aren't those damn fatbags just hard to draw sometimes!?), and there's a strange hump coming out of her back... There are other errors, but y'know, I think starting there is really good enough. There will always be some mistakes, but don't stop! I have personally always just worked on a little at a time.

Offline Pango

«Reply #19: August 01, 2009, 06:21:27 PM»

Thank you.

I second that! Binkari did a fab job.

I am going to go with the pixel port and the cutout.

Cutout: I think with Binkari's improvement suggestions it could possibly go for 7gd, but if it were more shaded and all that, I could see it going for more! I love the round face, the hair, the etc. I think it's damn adorable!

Pixel: First off, I LOVE THE BACKGROUND. Did you do that? It's lovely! I'm jealous D: I think the head-to-body proportions are off, so unfortunately that does take it down to about 3gd max for me. The breasts are a little lopsided (aren't those damn fatbags just hard to draw sometimes!?), and there's a strange hump coming out of her back... There are other errors, but y'know, I think starting there is really good enough. There will always be some mistakes, but don't stop! I have personally always just worked on a little at a time.

Oh you are too kind!
I do all my portrait backgrounds, yes.

I decided to stop doing both the cutout and pixel ports not because I'm bad at them, but because now that I'm running under Linux it multiplies the production time by 3. I'll do nonremap paint-y ports, instead.

Thank you for all the advice.

anything