turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anatomy help, please?  (Read 882 times)

Offline Suzy

Anatomy help, please?
«: August 01, 2009, 11:54:12 PM»
I started doing this on a whim. I would use myself as reference, but frankly my body type is no where near what I was going for. Unfortunately, I lost the reference I was using, but here's what I have so far:

As you can tell, I'm having some serious issues. I can already tell that she's too thin in some places and perhaps too thick in others. I also can't seem to figure out the neck/shoulders/booby area (or anything else imo) So, while I'm searching madly for the reference, I'd appreciate any redlines or other critique.

Anatomy is hard, guys. ._. Thank you very much in advance!

IPGD

Re: Anatomy help, please?
«Reply #1: August 02, 2009, 12:13:14 AM»
I'm going to be blunt and concise:

There is so much wrong with this picture that it is completely and utterly unsalvageable. It would be pointless for me to even begin. Start over with a reference that you aren't going to lose this time. If you're having trouble drawing what you see, read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Try using a grid. After you've grasped the concept of learning how to draw what you see, examine the body and determine the correlations and proportions. What you do notice about how the breast connects to the chest, or how far apart the eyes are, or how fat hangs from the body? It's a combination between distancing yourself from symbolism, and at the same time, critically searching for proportional relationships as you are drawing, that will make referencing a boon to your progress. Like most things, it's useless if you don't know how to approach it.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #2: August 02, 2009, 12:24:48 AM»
I suppose you're right. It's rather frustrating since I was told to completely start over last time too, but... well, I want to get better. I'll try again.

God, I wish I would have thought about this kind of thing sooner. It's going to be hard to detach myself from my old habits and ideals. Although, isn't it rare to find anyone who started out "the right way"? Everyone has to do this at some point, one would think.

Thanks. :]

Offline Vin

«Reply #3: August 29, 2009, 04:14:59 AM»
There is no correct way to learn to draw.

The anatomy isn't that great, no, but the attempt is still fantastic, especially if you're a beginner. Studying yourself is a smart idea, and it also helps to study photos of people, from all kinds of angles, to practice with.

Tracing is all right, too, for practice - Until you can get the hang of where certain lines should be. All I suggest is you never trace a picture you plan to finish and showcase. If you'd rather not trace, then try guides. Google "Anatomy Tutorials" and see what you find, and good luck. :D
Yo, I'm looking for a mongoose who owes me 5 bucks. If you see him, let me know. He has a cheap-ass skateboard.
COMMISSIONS OPEN