turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: nope  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Lancelot

nope
«: August 06, 2009, 08:30:26 PM»
vtrvorv
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:39:58 AM by Lancelot »

Offline Anarchy

Re: Hyena avatar price it?
«Reply #1: August 06, 2009, 08:33:59 PM»
I'd say for exclusive use to a single person around 25 bux.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #2: August 06, 2009, 09:02:21 PM»
There's a lot of shit Youlanda wouldn't buy.

Despite anatomical issues if someone wanted a unique Hyena avatar they'd probably go for this. I'd say upwards of 15 and no more.

Offline Sync

«Reply #3: August 06, 2009, 10:39:47 PM»
i'd want to see more poses. what really makes a lot of feral avatars look like shit is that none of them can do north facing poses, which you have not shown here.

and this also doesn't look very much like a hyena to me. i'd mistake it for some weirdly drawn bear cub or something.

Offline Ean

«Reply #4: August 07, 2009, 12:32:50 AM»
Honestly, I think that avatar looks pretty dang good! Just a couple edits here and there and you'll have yourself one fine piece of av. Though I'd like so see some more poses, like others have said already.

Hints for editing:
-Sometimes (only sometimes), you will be able to see both eyes on the face. Don't be afraid to try and fit them on there. Small pixels get to that point to where you can't even add an eye!
-The legs on it's right need to be pushed forward a little more. It'll give it more dimension, body weight, etc.
-When you are shading, pin point where the light would be. I usually put my light at the top (since that's where the sun hits in the dream I am making). Darkest shade on the bottom, lightest on top, etc.

Pricing:
I'd sell that for at least 20-25. Maybe even 30 if you are lucky.

Good luck with this one! Like I said, it is look awesome so far! Can't wait to see it finished.

IPGD

«Reply #5: August 07, 2009, 01:14:32 AM»
TIMMMMBBEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline Creek

«Reply #6: August 07, 2009, 01:39:19 AM»
I think its leaning to far foward. And a Hyena's rear end is lower than its shoulders. They have stubby back legs.

I, personally, wouldnt pay for this.

see how much farther down their asses hang?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:41:46 AM by Ostara »

Offline /gage/

«Reply #7: August 07, 2009, 08:02:40 AM»
i like it. its really cute. it could create a whole new nonchalant dream atmosphere.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #8: August 07, 2009, 08:42:04 AM»
I would not pay for this.

Perspective.
Shading.
Lack of shadow.

I concur. It's leaning to far forward.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #9: August 08, 2009, 02:59:15 PM»
Thankyouuu everyone for the pricing and opinions I've been trying to improve on the perspective and shading. I may finish this later :)

I made an attempt at another avatar though, think its in better perspective this time if anything lol

IPGD

Re: Canine av pricing. new
«Reply #10: August 08, 2009, 04:30:26 PM»
It's in the same exact perspective as the last one (read: it's wrong and makes it look like it's falling over). Use an isometric grid.

See why this looks wrong?

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #11: August 08, 2009, 05:24:35 PM»

like this?

IPGD

«Reply #12: August 08, 2009, 06:23:57 PM»
This is how isometric perspective works:

(please ignore my awful dog anatomy)

Every line that runs northeast (blue) will be parallel. Every line that runs northwest (red) will be parallel. Every line that runs north (green) will be parallel.

Each of these lines will correspond to the edges of a box. When you are making a figure, you are carving its form out of this box. Block out the major forms of the figure with boxes (the head, chest, pelvis, etc.) with edges that run parallel to the isometric grid. Inside these boxes, you can place the anatomically proper geometric shapes (I used a lot of cylinders and spheres). From these geometric shapes, you can work out the the final lines that will correspond both to the organic curves of your real subject and the isometric perspective you must set it in.

As an example, look at the quick sketch I did. The front paws are aligned along the NE parallel to their corresponding hind counterpart, and the adjacent paws are aligned along the NW parallel. Every edge of the barrel of the chest is aligned to the appropriate parallel -- I didn't just plop on a two dimensional oval, I considered it translucently and three dimensionally. Although I erased them, I drew out the edges of the cylinder that would normally be invisible to be sure the form I drew conformed to perspective. I didn't draw the neck and head running off to the side, I drew out the cylinder of the neck, three dimensionally, in the position it should be attached to the chest.

I made a few perspective errors myself (the body isn't aligned properly with the feet, while the edges of both the chest and feet should align with the green parallel), but it doesn't look like my freak mutant dog is falling over because I got the basic concept of parallel construction of geometric shapes down.

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #13: August 08, 2009, 06:58:53 PM»
@Youlanda. And I have read every single one of those replies and am trying to apply them, no I haven't gotten them even close to down yet and I am aware. I am trying, and personally I think I have gotten way better compared to the first avs I made, so it isn't some lost cause. I have tried to get a better grasp of anatomy and light source. I do use refs, and this most recent avatar I used all 8 shades. Again no, I know not it's not even close to perfect or even good but it's a process and I am getting better and have a better understanding than when I first started. I also have made items. I'm pretty limited to what I can do digitally because I use a laptop mouse pad, so tiny pixel work is really the only thing that has even a chance of being halfway decent haha. Thankyou for the little diagram and the recommendations.

@Matter.. Whoa isometric perspective makes a lot more sense to me now. Thank you so much the diagram and explanation is very helpful and it just..makes lots of sense haha. I'm going to try it like that.

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #14: August 08, 2009, 07:10:21 PM»
I do.

IPGD

«Reply #15: August 08, 2009, 07:11:01 PM»
Another thing you should probably note is the standard Furcadia light source, which is positioned to the left and up (i.e., on a box, the top plane will be lightest, the left plane will be the mid tone, and the right plane will be the darkest). You seem to be shading your figures from the opposite direction.

Tablets really aren't that expensive anymore. You can probably find a used, working Wacom Bamboo on the internet for 50~ bucks, and you can get one brand new for 99. And, failing that, you can use a pencil.

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #16: August 08, 2009, 07:32:06 PM»
Oh didn't even realize that lol. Thanks. And probably should pick one up at some point. :)

Offline Lancelot

«Reply #17: August 08, 2009, 09:59:55 PM»
Alright anatomy aside, is this in perspective?

Offline Electric Guitar

«Reply #18: August 08, 2009, 10:27:01 PM»
That actually looks a lot better. :) For anatomy issues I recomend looking up photos of wolves in similiar positons. Tutorials on wolf/canine anatomy are also very helpful.

IPGD

«Reply #19: August 08, 2009, 11:36:36 PM»
Much, much better. It looks to me like the head might be tilted to the right a little too far, so I'd watch for that while you're filling in the details, but it's not horrendously broken as far as I can see. Though, again, I know nothing of dog anatomy and this is just perspective-wise (... though I'm not even that experienced with isometric perspective so I wouldn't take my word on that either).

Offline Lancelot

Re: Feral price help
«Reply #20: November 01, 2009, 10:02:51 PM»
new shit new shit

anything