turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Needing help in certain areas.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Sdae

Needing help in certain areas.
«: August 11, 2009, 07:37:26 PM»
Alright, so I've already got some crits, and also some disapproving people with bad remarks about my artwork I know it isn't much but I broke away from just the bust portrait style to more of an angled, more perspective look to them. I want to improve my atonomy in most of my ports. I need some good tutorials, or even books, pretty much anything to everything. I'm also looking for some good shading tutorials to look into also. Let's face it I know I need alot of work done, and I need some help as in references to look off of and help me along. Most of my shading is bubbly, only three shades, etc etc. I'm working on more shades but now I need to fiqure out the whole light perspective of each piece.
I don't really need any crits. but if you feel as though it is necessary then go ahead.
Here are some examples:

Offline Morgan

Re: Needing help in certain areas.
«Reply #1: August 11, 2009, 07:55:39 PM»
matter's sig, go read it

Offline kenzy

«Reply #2: August 11, 2009, 07:55:54 PM»
I personally think your shading is good as it is.

As for anatomy, I was told to look at Matter's signature. It's got links. c:
---
edit; Yeah what Morgan said. :V

Offline Sdae

«Reply #3: August 11, 2009, 08:44:17 PM»
Using Prismaticator. Sorry you can't see. It 'dithers' everything on its own. Not my doing..

Why do you so often show only one eye?

I tried to zoom in closer to give a better evaluation but I can't because the remapping image is covered by anti-theft garbage and the whole thing is badly JPGed.

All I can say is: Shade more. Dither less. Light things in a way that shows structure. Dither less. You don't have to have every single piece of the image dithered. Holy crap, dither less!

Offline Sdae

«Reply #4: August 11, 2009, 08:50:34 PM»
Also-

I know I often show only one eye, trying to get out of that as we speak.

Offline Heimdall

«Reply #5: August 11, 2009, 08:53:41 PM»
What Youlie said. Also, don't be afraid to vary your light source--they all seem to be the coming from the front in these examples. Try lighting the figure with a weak wide light from the back, or a very harsh light to the left, or whatever. Bonus points if it helps connect the figure with the background, though make sure the figure is still the most prominent.

IPGD

«Reply #6: August 11, 2009, 08:59:15 PM»
HERE I AM

Dither less. You don't have to have every single piece of the image dithered. Holy crap, dither less!
This, sort of. The point of dithering is to create a pseudo-midtone between shades that you would not normally be able to use with the limited palette. In a way, it doubles your ostensible range of values from 9 to 18. Instead of considering dithering just as a way of "blending" or "softening" something (though use of dithering will also make the tonal transitions smoother just as if you were able to use the real 50% average value between the two values used in your dither pattern) and dithering everything, consider each dithering pattern its own unique shade.

You should be using the "solid" values just as much as the dither values, and I would recommend laying down the full solid range of every shade you feasibly can before you even touch dithering; while you can achieve as many shades, in quantity, using dither interstitials in place of the solid values, your value range will be shortened because there is less of a "jump" in value between two solid values and a solid value and one of its adjacent dither value. Dithering is best saved for larger forms, where the gap between the solid values actually becomes noticable; if you're shading a very small area, they will optically blend together on their own in most cases, and dithering (at least as prolifically as you are using it) will generally be unnecessary. Dithering out more than one or two pixel widths on something like an arm is generally overkill and might ruin the optical illusion dithering operates on.

Dither manually or don't dither at all.

Also, you're not constructing the body parts with the correct shapes. Arms are not made up of a series of spheres, you should be building the out of cylinders (and shading them like a cylinder derivative, accounting for the form deformations that muscles and bones create). Your facial planes are also incredibly flat, which suggests to me that you have little to no understanding of the actual three dimensional construction of the forms of the face. Step away from the two dimensional symbolism and examine the planes of the face.

Like everyone is saying, read my signature. Check out Vilppu in particular for more information on facial planes.

(p.s. all that shit about dithering is pulled out of my ass after about 2 ports and 1 avatar's worth of pixel experience, so if anyone knows better than I do, seriously, correct me)

edit: Also, form before detail. Hair has volume, too, don't go diving into defining all the nitty gritty textures before you even define which parts are further away from the light source. It makes it look very flat, like your characters are wearing paper cutouts with crayon marks on their head instead of actual hair.

edit AGAIN because I need to think before I hit send: Here's a shitty example of what I'm talking about with the hair here in this shit port I was trying to ~*practice*~ with:

I used a healthy range of value over the entire form of the hair, but I only needed to gradiate between two local values to define the texture of the hair. Parts that are further from the light source are darker than those closer to it. You can still make the hair shiny and plastic if you want to, but you should put that shiny shit in the spots it belongs, not on every single strand in the picture.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:13:13 PM by Matter »

Offline Hugo

«Reply #7: August 12, 2009, 04:16:02 PM»
Seems Matter has no trouble offering assistance even with the protections in place. Why can't you?

IPGD

«Reply #8: August 12, 2009, 04:26:27 PM»
because most of the things I said were mostly things I hardly had to look at the drawing at all to say. if she wants to comment on things like the value range or pixel placement, which does actually require you to zoom in and stare at it, she is going to be impeded by jpeg artifacting. it does make it a lot harder to give an accurate assessment of a pixel piece when you can't actually see the pixels

Offline Morgan

«Reply #9: August 12, 2009, 04:40:32 PM»
because most of the things I said were mostly things I hardly had to look at the drawing at all to say. if she wants to comment on things like the value range or pixel placement, which does actually require you to zoom in and stare at it, she is going to be impeded by jpeg artifacting. it does make it a lot harder to give an accurate assessment of a pixel piece when you can't actually see the pixels

qfe

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: August 12, 2009, 05:01:19 PM»
The light sources are fairly easy to see even while zoomed out. I don't understand why Youlanda's circuits are frying, that's all.

Offline Zim

«Reply #11: August 12, 2009, 05:12:09 PM»
The light sources are fairly easy to see even while zoomed out. I don't understand why Youlanda's circuits are frying, that's all.

Then PM her.

Back on-topic, please.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #12: August 12, 2009, 05:13:46 PM»

because you can't examine pixel technique up close when it's jpeg and gradiented.

IPGD

«Reply #13: August 12, 2009, 06:20:43 PM»

because you can't examine pixel technique up close when it's jpeg and gradiented.
it's also impossible to make demonstrative edits which can be a big help

shutting up about this now

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #14: August 12, 2009, 06:32:50 PM»
I agree with what's been said.
You dither too much, and it makes your portraits seem very flat. If you would improve you shading and work on light sources, I'd definitely consider commissioning you!

anything