turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Closed (Thanks for all the suggestions, guys-- I'll try my best!) <3  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Centra

Finished with this thread!  Thanks for all the help, guys~!  If a mod would like to delete this thread, feel free.  <3

I have two main things to ask today, guys~  C: 

I had to get a Macbook Pro for school, and I had some problems arise because of it.  D: 

First off, OpenCanvas 4.5 (the program I use to do my normal digital sketches) won't run in OSX, and I won't have access to Windows once school starts on the 20th.  This means I have to change up the way I do future commission sketches, and I wanted to see what you guys thought:

Instead of colored sketches like this:
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/203/0/1/Sutekh___commission___by_CentraDragon.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/193/5/1/Morgan_and_Parker__commission__by_CentraDragon.jpg

I was thinking of offering detailed ballpoint pen sketches:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/Centradragon/SharkConceptcopy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/Centradragon/GoatSketchescopy.jpg
Sorry I don't have any human/anthro examples, guys!  I think this demonstrates what I can do in ballpoint well enough, and I'll have some more examples (and a scanner!) up soon when I re-open commissions on Friday.

It would lack flat shading and be a bit smaller, but it has more detail/shading and would be for the same price ($12).  D:  I could also still colorize the lines.  Do you guys think this would be a fair trade-off?

Secondly, is there a way to get Furcadia (and more importantly, the port-editing program) running in OSX?  >__>  I haven't found a Mac version yet, and bootcamp isn't possible to get running at the moment.

I think this is the right forum for this.  >_>  Either way, I appreciate you guys looking!  Any feedback you can give on the sketches would be loved, too.  C: 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:34:58 PM by Centra »

Offline Sync

Re: Sketch commissions/Mac port editor questions. C:
«Reply #1: August 12, 2009, 08:47:41 PM»
here's mfurc: http://www.ghosttiger.com/mfurc/

i had to use the mfurc port editor for a while. i really wouldn't recommend it for coloring ports, i would get a separate program similar to paint and color that way. the mfurc port editor is pretty annoying to use, and i'd only use it for converting files to fsh.

Offline Morgan

«Reply #2: August 12, 2009, 08:53:35 PM»
photoshop will run on osx, you could use that for digital sketches if you can get it.

Offline Centra

«Reply #3: August 12, 2009, 09:08:45 PM»
Sync-- Thanks for the link!  I didn't know mFurc came with an editor, but if it can make better straight lines than Photoshop it should end up being okay.  XD

Morgan-- As much as I love Photoshop, I hate sketching in it because the lines are so darn thick and aren't the quality I like.  :C  I usually just had Photoshop as a flat shader and OC for lines (since it's awesome like that).

I'll look into it and see if I can get the lines the way I want, though.  C:  Thanks!  (Btw, love your icon... <3)

Offline Morgan

«Reply #4: August 12, 2009, 09:17:28 PM»
Sync-- Thanks for the link!  I didn't know mFurc came with an editor, but if it can make better straight lines than Photoshop it should end up being okay.  XD

Morgan-- As much as I love Photoshop, I hate sketching in it because the lines are so darn thick and aren't the quality I like.  :C  I usually just had Photoshop as a flat shader and OC for lines (since it's awesome like that).

I'll look into it and see if I can get the lines the way I want, though.  C:  Thanks!  (Btw, love your icon... <3)

just play with your settings and choice of brush for a bit, you'll get it eventually. i'd suggest sai, but sai doesn't run on osx. :(

Offline Centra

«Reply #5: August 12, 2009, 09:31:20 PM»
just play with your settings and choice of brush for a bit, you'll get it eventually. i'd suggest sai, but sai doesn't run on osx. :(

C: Thanks, hon!  I'll try for it.  Hopefully I can get a few of the brushes working.   Weird how all these good art programs don't run on a computer "made" for artists, right?  D:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:49:54 PM by Centra »

Offline nuy

«Reply #6: August 13, 2009, 04:50:11 PM»
i know how you feel as another windows->mac person ):
sooo sad i can't use sai or oc anymore
for ports, i only use the editor mfurc provides to make sure things remap the way they're supposed to or to save. it really sucks compared to the windows one.
as for sketches and stuff, i usually use photoshop or painter. like morgan said, with the right settings, it's easy for photoshop to make nice lines. lots of tutorials on how to do that. or you can always just use illustrator. i don't normally sketch digitally, but when i feel like a quick doodle, painter also makes really nice lines. i like the variety of brushes painter offers and the pen tool is awesome. it makes lines more like oc's or sai's i think. other programs i've tried downloading don't compare to painter.
nice ballpoint pen sketches by the way P:

Offline Centra

«Reply #7: August 13, 2009, 07:30:48 PM»
i know how you feel as another windows->mac person ):
sooo sad i can't use sai or oc anymore
for ports, i only use the editor mfurc provides to make sure things remap the way they're supposed to or to save. it really sucks compared to the windows one.
as for sketches and stuff, i usually use photoshop or painter. like morgan said, with the right settings, it's easy for photoshop to make nice lines. lots of tutorials on how to do that. or you can always just use illustrator. i don't normally sketch digitally, but when i feel like a quick doodle, painter also makes really nice lines. i like the variety of brushes painter offers and the pen tool is awesome. it makes lines more like oc's or sai's i think. other programs i've tried downloading don't compare to painter.
nice ballpoint pen sketches by the way P:

I know, right?  Me too... so many of the programs I actually paid for are useless without Windows (not to mention the lack of games, har har.)

Uggh... that SUCKS about the port thing.  D:  I might have to look into getting VMware and see if I have a copy of XP lying around-- I think it'd be worth the extra effort if I didn't have to use the mFurc editor (and then I could even use OC and all my problems would be solved).  D: 

I've been using Photoshop for years, but I've never particularly liked it for sketching (unless I was going to paint over it).  This is probably me just being picky, and chances are my commissioners couldn't tell the difference between OC's lines and Photoshop.  >3>  (Also, I'm totally in love with Painter... but I've never tried it before.  I'll have to check it out!)

Thanks, hon!  C:  I appreciate the feedback and suggestions~

Offline Morgan

Is there any reason why you had to get a macbook instead of an normal laptop for school? Can't you take the mac back and get a normal laptop?

iirc from a da journal i read a while ago i think her school requires a macbook or something.

Offline Heimdall

Youlanda, yeah, some schools require certain models. It's a pain in the ass. I see where they're coming from, but still.

And Centra, if you want another program with nice crisp lines, I suggest getting Illustrator. Vector lines are clean and sharp and there are many ways of doing 'em. Also, if you do any of your work in Photoshop (like color, whatever) it's relatively easy to pop things back and forth between that and Illust.

Plus, I get the feeling you'd do awesome vector stuff.