turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: If you haven't seen "Persepolis"...  (Read 637 times)

Offline Suzy

If you haven't seen "Persepolis"...
«: August 16, 2009, 02:04:02 AM»
...You need to. Right now.

Tonight, I watched the movie based on the 2 volume "Persepolis" series of graphic novels by Marjane Satrapi. The books, which are amazing by themselves, describe her life as Iran (and a bit of her time is Austria) starting in the early '70s during the revolution.

The movie is like a totally new experience compared to the novels. When I finished it, all I could think was... holy freaking crap. I must tell somebody.

The art in the movie was a way more detailed version of the art in the comic. Satrapi's style is strikingly black and white with characters that show an incredible amount of emotion through simplified features. It's very clear that both Satrapi and her staff know exactly what they're doing because the result is breathtaking. I sincerely think that Marjane Satrapi's work is something that everyone should at least take a look at.

It's also done traditionally. No computer animation here. They recorded the actor's voices before they started the art so that they could draw to the emotions of the actors. The inking was done in what looked like Sakura Micron felt tip markers in the behind the scenes feature.

The story is also incredible. During an interview, Satrapi explained that the story is not an autobiography because she changed some elements to make it more of a story. It's clear that there was a lot of experience backing it up, however. She illustrates philosophers she is a fan of, the pain of war, the difficulty of being an Iranian inside and out of her own country, the misunderstandings of a child who wished to be a prophet... etc.

So, yeah, if you haven't heard of it, go find it now.

If you have read the books/seen the movie, what did you think of it?

anything