turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: wondering about my avatars  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Ook

wondering about my avatars
«: August 16, 2009, 11:51:13 AM»

first avatar ever - made a while back, but i was wondering if anybody had any critiques?

Offline Electric Guitar

Re: wondering about my avatars
«Reply #1: August 16, 2009, 12:15:08 PM»
The head looks a little too big (unless that's what you're going for), and the paws look a bit too small. Makes it look a bit disproportionate. Other then that, the anatomy looks pretty good for a first attempt at an avatar. :)

Offline Ook

«Reply #2: August 16, 2009, 12:18:27 PM»
it's a beastie i've made up, which probably doesn't help for those wishing to critique anatomy, but yeah, the heads are supposed to be that big and the feet are small xD

Offline Hugo

«Reply #3: August 16, 2009, 01:58:43 PM»
My first avatar was laughable. As far as this one goes, maybe choosing a light source would help.

Offline Ook

«Reply #4: August 16, 2009, 06:22:09 PM»
ah yes, light source! Thanks Hugo!
anyone else?

IPGD

«Reply #5: August 16, 2009, 06:26:26 PM»

Check your perspective, since your avatar isn't in it.

Here, let me copypaste a post I made a while ago on isometric perspective:

This is how isometric perspective works:

(please ignore my awful dog anatomy)

Every line that runs northeast (blue) will be parallel. Every line that runs northwest (red) will be parallel. Every line that runs north (green) will be parallel.

Each of these lines will correspond to the edges of a box. When you are making a figure, you are carving its form out of this box. Block out the major forms of the figure with boxes (the head, chest, pelvis, etc.) with edges that run parallel to the isometric grid. Inside these boxes, you can place the anatomically proper geometric shapes (I used a lot of cylinders and spheres). From these geometric shapes, you can work out the the final lines that will correspond both to the organic curves of your real subject and the isometric perspective you must set it in.

As an example, look at the quick sketch I did. The front paws are aligned along the NE parallel to their corresponding hind counterpart, and the adjacent paws are aligned along the NW parallel. Every edge of the barrel of the chest is aligned to the appropriate parallel -- I didn't just plop on a two dimensional oval, I considered it translucently and three dimensionally. Although I erased them, I drew out the edges of the cylinder that would normally be invisible to be sure the form I drew conformed to perspective. I didn't draw the neck and head running off to the side, I drew out the cylinder of the neck, three dimensionally, in the position it should be attached to the chest.

I made a few perspective errors myself (the body isn't aligned properly with the feet, while the edges of both the chest and feet should align with the green parallel), but it doesn't look like my freak mutant dog is falling over because I got the basic concept of parallel construction of geometric shapes down.

[...]

Another thing you should probably note is the standard Furcadia light source, which is positioned to the left and up (i.e., on a box, the top plane will be lightest, the left plane will be the mid tone, and the right plane will be the darkest). You seem to be shading your figures from the opposite direction.

Offline Ook

«Reply #6: August 16, 2009, 07:17:22 PM»
I see, I have his back legs to wide and high, and therefore the bum too high. Hrm... I'll keep that in mind for my next avatar. Too much work to go back and change this one, ad it needs an update anyway - but all this critique is helping!

Offline Katto

«Reply #7: October 09, 2009, 12:07:15 PM»
I think that tail on the back-facing av needs to be a bit higher. The ground really shouldn't be that farther down froom the feet, so, the tail would be dragging on the ground, concidering how relatively close it is to the feet in the standing position.

as far as foot plazing goes, the back-facing poses have a better footing. Unless they have a small chest compared to their pelvis, it really shouldn't be like that. The front legs should be spaced a little farther apart, and the chest should be a bit wider in the front. Or, a better way to describe it, is the shoulder looks too far foraward. If you move it and the leg back a bit, it would look better, not like it's hunching it's shoulders.

Other than that, I like the shading and the overall design of the av. Maybe there should be a bit more shading, and like suggested before, a chosen light source. The skin between the legs and the chest is usually sunken a tiny bit, so it would be a bit darker, in my opninion. But other than that, good work. (: