turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cleaning Up Pencil Lines?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Suzy

Cleaning Up Pencil Lines?
«: August 22, 2009, 08:37:05 PM»
Sometimes I get the urge to color a sketch, but I'm either afraid to ruin it by inking it with the pen tool and/or I don't feel like going through the frustrating process of inking via pen tool. Does anybody know how to clean up pencil lines so they can be put in a separate layer for coloring? I fail every time I try.

Thanks!

Offline Morgan

Re: Cleaning Up Pencil Lines?
«Reply #1: August 22, 2009, 08:38:31 PM»
Sometimes I get the urge to color a sketch, but I'm either afraid to ruin it by inking it with the pen tool and/or I don't feel like going through the frustrating process of inking via pen tool. Does anybody know how to clean up pencil lines so they can be put in a separate layer for coloring? I fail every time I try.

Thanks!

no. ink it by hand. it'll look like shit if you try to take shortcuts.

Offline Moose

«Reply #2: August 23, 2009, 05:03:27 PM»
If you're doing this via, say Adobe photoshop, what I do is select the area, define brush (usually in Edit) and turn the sketch into a paint brush temporarily. This way, I can jsut splat a "new" version of the sketch down on a new layer and tweak it, smoothe out the lineart, etc. Can always delete the new layer afterwards if it ends up not looking great, and still have the original sketch.

That's if you're digital, that is.

...if this isn't what you meant, then ignore me. :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:05:01 PM by Moose »

Offline Suzy

«Reply #3: August 23, 2009, 05:05:25 PM»
Yes, I meant digital. Thank you.

IPGD

«Reply #4: August 24, 2009, 05:18:22 AM»

Offline UzumakiEnko

«Reply #5: May 28, 2010, 05:18:05 PM»
This might be old news (I'm just randomly browsing... xD;; )
But in photoshop if you set the sketch layer to multiply you can color underneath it without messing wiht lines :3 and you can always save an extra copy of the original sketch :3
<3