turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tear EVERYTHING Apart. Please.  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Sedde

Tear EVERYTHING Apart. Please.
«: August 30, 2009, 04:25:13 PM»
I'm perfectly aware that this will probably hurt my ego, a lot. BUT. I need to know where my major problem areas are so that I can take any spare time I have this coming school year to work it out. I'll have my tablet and GIMP, as well as microns, colored pencils, mechanical pencils, and a sketchbook to work with as well. Please, please give me an idea what direction to go. :(

First off, I know I stink at ferals. I reffed for this, but I'm still unhappy with it because I was trying to modify a damn pitbull. GO:

This was the latest realistic portrait I did, in pencil, over about 45 minutes (this past winter):

I also did this portrait of "Scotty" from the new Star Trek:

I usually draw ladies, which is pretty obvious if you look at my galleries here and here so I'm not going to bother posting portraits and crap that I'm sure people have seen anyway. I'm not looking to improve my PIXEL art, particularly, but if you have tips in that regard I'll gladly take them into account as well.

There's also a smattering of silliness and shitty stuff (like that drawing of Panty in my Dwy gallery), which I'd ask that you disregard. ESPECIALLY that one -- I don't draw that crap pretty much ever. It was a poor attempt, and I'm aware of that.

I know I have issues with values, which will probably lead me to try to do more lineless work this coming year. Just taking my pencil and sketchbook and going out somewhere, trying to draw a sculpture or summat without sketching lines first. I also need to get more confident with my lines, as I know they're lacking. Hah.

I tried delving into color theory without having enough confidence to mess with values much, which bothers me -- does anyone think that's what part of my problem is?

Please give me some kind of idea what I'm doing wrong, because I can't quite put my finger on it. :(

Offline Sync

Re: Tear EVERYTHING Apart. Please.
«Reply #1: August 30, 2009, 05:06:43 PM»
uhh, use wooden pencils. mechanical pencils are really hard to get a good range with and even harder to fill an area in. and my classical art teacher smacks you whenever you use them and i'm pretty sure she knows what she's doing.

anyway excuse me while i type a hugelong post.

IPGD

«Reply #2: August 30, 2009, 05:23:37 PM»
I have a horrible headache and I really can't be assed to make a giant post right now (I will probably look at this again tomorrow), but the very first thing I notice is that you do that deep Y cleavage thing that drives me absolutely nuts. The strong line of the cleavage is going to end right where it first meets the chest; the indication of shadow where the breasts might be lifted above that line is much, much more subtle than the way you've been drawing it.

I'm having trouble explaining it, so here's some pictorial accompaniment:

There is somewhat of a "Y" there -- but in drawing a line with the same heaviness to indicate both the major cleft of the breasts and the subtle lift, you are suggesting that the edge between the tops of the breasts and the chest is just as sharp as the middle line is. It makes them look very stiff and fake.

I also noticed that you seem to draw unsupported breasts the same way you draw ones that are. This is bad, breasts are not immune to gravity! I don't think I am allowed to post tits here, but this is the internet and I am sure you know how to find pictures of them.

more later but time to sleep

Offline Sync

«Reply #3: August 30, 2009, 06:00:47 PM»
the biggest problem i see with all your pieces if the lack of contrast. i'm not really sure what's going on in the rest of the room with that star trek picture, but a computer is a pretty strong light scource, and the stronger the light scoure, the stronger the shadows are.
here's a guy that is righttt in front of a computer screen in the dark: http://ravenblakh.deviantart.com/art/FOABP-Final-III-119650407
i can barely make out what this guy is wearing. i can see yours clearly, and though your figure is not set up the exact same way, i probably shouldn't. i guess you could pull the off picture light card, but it really feels like the shading just wasn't done in attention to the light source we can see.

i see that in a lot of your other ports too. though there is a light source, the majority of them look extremely pillow shaded. like this one:
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7122
yeah, it looks nice, but i can't tell at all where the light is supposed to be hitting that top. in fact i can't tell where the light supposed to be hitting that figure at all.

i guess you got better here:
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/174/d/5/d58d4d0dbccf25eeebb2a01b2d886942.jpg
but still, the values don't separate enough for me to get a good feel that you know what you're doing here. and what matter said about the boobs.

and now i feel like my brain is fried. basically CONTRAST IS YOUR FRIEND.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #4: August 31, 2009, 07:57:03 AM»
uhh, use wooden pencils.

NO. :P I've used mechanical pencils for years -- I've never had a problem with shading with them, honestly. Shading's about my least concern when it comes to traditional art, as I learned to when I was in 4th grade. My brother taught me "circular shading" in about 5th. I haven't lost track of that, and I don't plan to change my tools anytime soon. I do have a few wooden pencils I can work with if need be, but I really don't plan on it.

I have a horrible headache and I really can't be assed to make a giant post right now (I will probably look at this again tomorrow), but the very first thing I notice is that you do that deep Y cleavage thing that drives me absolutely nuts.

THANK you for catching that, I guess I just kinda ignored that problem since everybody looooves that stupid Y. I know they should never quite be that defined as being apart from the top of the chest, but in some instances where the body is being pressed against something, shouldn't they have at least a little more definition up top? That's kinda what I was trying to do for the Presea portrait, at least.

the biggest problem i see with all your pieces if the lack of contrast. i'm not really sure what's going on in the rest of the room with that star trek picture, but a computer is a pretty strong light scource
That was the lighting I was trying to emulate. EVERYTHING in that movie was very shiny and well-lit, otherwise I'd say you're right on all those points you were trying to make. :P I was told to draw Mr. Scott at the terminal without his little eyepiece thingy, as seen in the newest movie, and there you have it.

i see that in a lot of your other ports too. though there is a light source, the majority of them look extremely pillow shaded. like this one:
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7122
yeah, it looks nice, but i can't tell at all where the light is supposed to be hitting that top. in fact i can't tell where the light supposed to be hitting that figure at all.
That port had a soft light coming from the top left. That is a light source I RARELY deviated from for a long, long time. To me, there is a clearly defined shadow coming down from the jawline and cutting across her throat, covering some of her left shoulder. The top, I agree, was poorly lit, but I was trying to cram tons of detail into it that the commissioner insisted on so it came out shoddy on shading for some reason. Stupid Furc palette.

I already said in my OP that I know contrast is probably one of my biggest problems, but how exactly should I try to get myself out of my "soft lighting" comfort zone? Flat-out black-on-white ink drawings, where there either is light or isn't light?

Offline Sync

«Reply #5: August 31, 2009, 08:10:26 AM»
yeah i know nothing about star trek lol.

and yeah i definitelyyyy would get out of soft lighting. no, i would not do ink drawings because you'd probably be too set on using the ink to outline rather than actually shade.. i would go with some still life or model drawing where they purposely put a powerful light on the figure to really bring out the contrast. or photos too. that's just my opinion though.

IPGD

«Reply #6: August 31, 2009, 08:19:21 AM»
but in some instances where the body is being pressed against something, shouldn't they have at least a little more definition up top? That's kinda what I was trying to do for the Presea portrait, at least.
Yes, but never enough that you will be defining the tops and the middle with the same quality of line. (unless the breasts are gigantic and you're looking at it from a below-ish perspective, I guess) They'll also probably be much further separated than was being shown, because breasts are never going to come that close together unless you purposely put them there (as in a pushup bra).

I already said in my OP that I know contrast is probably one of my biggest problems, but how exactly should I try to get myself out of my "soft lighting" comfort zone? Flat-out black-on-white ink drawings, where there either is light or isn't light?
From what I can see, your problems probably stem from the fact you don't understand the planes of the things you're drawing very well. Your shading isn't so much weak (you have a decent value range) as it is sparsely placed and non-logical in respect to the dimensions of the body. I would actually go back to practicing drawing basic shapes like spheres and rectangles, and when you're constructing an image, try to be very conscious of the basic polygons that the more complex body is made up of and how the light will deform to that structure.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #7: August 31, 2009, 12:49:18 PM»
You're probably 100% right about the "planes" thing, Matter. I mean, that was my issue with that other port you graciously redlined for me. So, back to spheres and rectangles -- but how do I upgrade from there?

Another part of my issue is I've gotten so good at referencing things that I don't pay attention to what MAKES UP the shapes I'm replicating. :\ I just kinda...draw what I see.

IPGD

«Reply #8: August 31, 2009, 01:03:50 PM»
You're probably 100% right about the "planes" thing, Matter. I mean, that was my issue with that other port you graciously redlined for me. So, back to spheres and rectangles -- but how do I upgrade from there?
The shapes and planes of most body parts are pretty intuitive (the arms and legs are "cylinders", etc.), but for facial geometry you might want to do more in-depth anatomy studies. Vilppu does a pretty good job of illustrating the facial planes; I have a link to his videos in my signature. It's a lot like sculpture when you get down to it.

Also, if you haven't seen this site, check it out: http://www.huevaluechroma.com/

anything