turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What makes an artist unattractive to commissioners?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Tate

What makes an artist unattractive to commissioners?
«: September 14, 2009, 01:34:15 PM»
I don't think this has been discussed. I did a looksie, but I mighta missed shit.

What makes an artist unattractive to commission? What makes them attractive?

For me, when an artist is cocky, it's a huge turn off. While I don't commission often, I do art trade, and obviously, since I'm putting something into it, I treat it the same, for the most part. A cocky artist who outright says their art is great, says it's super cute, etc., is just unattractive--I associate this with bad artists, as it's almost always true. Even when you're good, being cocky is... ew.

But this isn't to confuse cockiness with confidence! I'm driven away from "my art sucks no one's gonna commission me don't look at this omg", even when used jokingly.

Confidence is a huge thing that makes art attractive, even in mere admiration.

That's just one example of what makes an artist un/attractive to me. Give me some of yours? Got something different from what I think? Disagree, agree?

Offline Sedde

Re: What makes an artist unattractive to commissioners?
«Reply #1: September 14, 2009, 02:00:16 PM»
I agree 100% with what you're saying here.

I think...an artist becomes unattractive to me when they're unorganized. Being creative and free-spirited is one thing, but when you can't even keep track of who you're trading with or who you're being commissioned by, it's a red flag for me.

When they're difficult to get in touch with that's another turnoff. Any lack of contact over 2 weeks unannounced is fishy to me. :\

Also do not like lack of flexibility and sameface syndrome.

IPGD

«Reply #2: September 14, 2009, 02:39:50 PM»
Poor illustrative capability. This doesn't mean technical skill, but the ability to actually translate the commissioner's requests onto a canvas. Far too many artists consider a commission to be a request for "a character drawn in their style" -- and in the process of making a drawing in "their style", they strip the character of all of its defining characteristics besides the colors, clothing and hair in order to fit the homogenous face and body template they use for all characters indiscriminately, which they view as some sort of attractive definitive marker of their personal "style" rather than the severe constriction of their flexibility it actually is-- when a commission is actually a request for a drawing of the specific character.

An artist who cares more about maintaining their "style" (especially when the parameters of that style aren't really elements of style at all, just arbitrary face and body type restrictions the artist imposes on himself to stay consistent in said "style") than actually drawing an accurate representation of the specific character they're being asked to draw is a horrible illustrator.

A good illustrator, because that is what character commissions are, is acutely aware of both the obvious visual elements, like hair and clothing, and the subtleties that are definitive of the character's personality and lifestyle. A good illustrator does not truncate every character with low muscle definition into the same noodle-limb template used for all of the artist's thin characters, or every female character with the same breast size; he considers these elements individually and draws what characteristics the character actually has. When an element is unspecified, he can improvise elements that are appropriate to the character, not just elements he's used to drawing or personally likes.

Luckily for bad illustrators, though, most furries are glad to see their characters filtered through a thousand templates that aren't actually befitting of their own mental image because the average artistic quality of the community is so low they don't actually know that this isn't what artists are supposed to be doing.

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: September 14, 2009, 02:59:51 PM»
^ Agreeing with everything Matter said. I refuse to commission anyone who can't drop their own "kawaii desu" style for one of my badass, not-so-cute characters (for example). I also don't want to see one of my sweet little characters colored in unsaturated colors because the artist thinks it's "oh so pretty" even though that's... not how they look. I will look through whatever gallery they have and if all I see is samestyle samecolor art, no commission for you.

Also, a big turn-off for me is their general attitude. I don't commission people who have "holier than thou" attitudes (or cockiness, as Mashaface said), because it's just feeding it. I also refuse to commission obnoxious people. This includes people who are so vocal about hating certain things, or are blatantly weeaboo. I know it seems shallow of me, but if I can't stand the artist, chances are I won't want to work with them for any period of time.

I could go deeper, but certain people might think I'm targeting them if they see my post and go "oh my god I do that wtf," even if it's not my intention.

Offline Sync

«Reply #4: September 14, 2009, 04:24:24 PM»
uh, my biggest turn off for port commissions specifically are those who refuse to let you edit while charging or refusing to do edits themselves. i also don't commission someone anymore if they're extremely picky about reselling or switching the portrait over to another alt. it just becomes a huggee fucking hassle.

i personally really don't care about an artist's opinion on their own art, so long as i think they have talent. i'm probably a minority here but if i'm commissioning somebody, i just want their art. i don't really care if they're snooty or not, just as long as they can provide. the only thing that really gets on my nerves would coincide with my first paragraph, where the artist is so cocky they won't let you edit, but if their personality doesn't affect their policies, i don't care.
i agree with matter on the style thing, but i don't really run into kawaii desu chans people i actually want to commission so it's usually not a problem for me.

...guess that's all i can think of now lol.

Offline Kira

«Reply #5: September 14, 2009, 04:53:45 PM»
Undeserved holier-than-thou attitudes definately.

Epic weaboos.

Anyone with same pose, same face syndromes. Same eye syndrome, blushing furries, Sonic style syndrome (applies to those who only draw in that particular style and also applies to Disney style)

If I can't edit the portrait myself even add or subtract minor details. Not asking to re-do the thing myself :\

AbUSERS of dodge and burn tools

Looking to commission me or just need to contact?
Deviantart: Demi Furaffinity: Demi Twitter: Demidraws Email: [email protected] I do not check PMs here

Offline binkari

«Reply #6: September 14, 2009, 09:19:13 PM»
Bad business sense, unorganized artists who think they are above a commissioner's requests and time. The artists who open themselves up for commissions and then take months, sometimes years to complete them. Even worse are those that drag it on without prior warning or correspondence with paying customers, even if the customer tries to inquire about their commission status. My blood pressure goes up reading some of the Art Alert posts, and I know that's only a small sampling of what actually happens.

Things come up, it's true. But unless a meteor suddenly fell on your house and destroyed everything you know and love, you should make the effort to maintain good customer relations. If you can't finish a drawing in a month or predetermined length of time, refund the payment and call it a day. If an artist has any aspirations to becoming a professional, they'd best learn how to conduct business in a responsible manner in addition to developing his or her technical and creative skills.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #7: September 15, 2009, 02:15:16 PM»
personality. i hate those cocky artists who have to post their artwork, and if it goes unnoticed, post it again saying "look how cute this is." obviously, you yourself can understand "how cute" your drawing is, why must you need us to fill your already bloated ego?

i also hate (slightly hypocritical) artists who have a range between making a really good port, or a really bad one. like, it's a roll of a dice on what it would be. sometimes their stuff is good, and other times it's like.. eh. it's almost too much of a gamble for me.

Offline Zim

«Reply #8: September 15, 2009, 02:53:46 PM»

i also hate (slightly hypocritical) artists who have a range between making a really good port, or a really bad one. like, it's a roll of a dice on what it would be. sometimes their stuff is good, and other times it's like.. eh. it's almost too much of a gamble for me.

To expand on that, when people draw things for themselves and other people, but only put effort into stuff for themselves because it seems like it's all they care about. If you're not going to put the same amount of effort into work for a PAYING customer as you do for yourself, don't bother.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #9: September 16, 2009, 10:53:23 PM»
I agree with most of this. I, however, don't mind weaboos as long as they don't throw "KAWAII SUGOI DESU NE" at me every time I communicate with them. I don't care as long as their quality matches the price I paid.

Cockiness is a HUGE issue with me, and I refuse to work with somebody who is going to act like it is my privilege to pay them for art.

I also hate it when an artist takes a bunch of commissions at a time and can't handle them all. I'm okay with a waiting list, but if I'm told that my art is coming, I don't want to be waiting because they're working on 3589739457 other things without letting me know.

Offline Pocketmew

«Reply #10: September 17, 2009, 02:01:33 PM»
Hmm I don't like it when artists refuse to edit a port, or let you edit it yourself. I had one person I commissioned who flat out did my character wrong (never provided sketchs) then expected me to pay, refusing to make any edits of any sort or letting me do them. I did pay but highly regret commissioning them.

I also don't commission people if they are rude to other people, or their attitude is just too harsh. I don't know I like commissioning someone I can actually work with.

I actually prefer someone who specializes in one "style" because I like to know exactly what I am getting. If I want a realistic port I'll commission a realism artist, anime port anime artist.

Offline alexandra

«Reply #11: September 17, 2009, 03:06:02 PM»
I don't really mind cockiness, just like Sync said, for the exact same reasons. I'm not going to commission someone to make friends with them because all I really want out of the experience is getting the art I payed for.

However, what I don't like is when the person I commission refuses to let me edit their portraits (since I do portraits myself, I know exactly what I want) and I'll end up waiting even longer for a series of edits that may never get my approval. If I don't like the portrait when someone refuses to let me edit it, most of the time it goes unused which is a waste of my money and a waste of their time.

This may be more of a personal thing, but I absolutely hate when it takes longer than a week to finish my commission and the artist refuses to show progress after some interval of time. I'm able to finish portraits in less than an hour, so I guess that's hindered my patience. But also, when artists are accepting commissions with open arms and with a lot of commissioners their plate as well.

Also, review/scam threads. I think it ruins an artist's business, because no matter how talented they are I'm not going to commission someone who has even one record for scamming or an incredibly bad review. It has me nervous about where my money is going.

One last thing. UP FRONT PAYMENT is the biggest turn off for me. :l the end.

Offline Sapphirus

«Reply #12: September 18, 2009, 04:26:18 PM»
Usually most of the good artists i've seen on Furcadia are cocky, that's one of the attitudes that make them the most unattactive to me. Also, I don't EVER commision anyone, only art trades occasionally, and I get enough...fanart so I don't need to worry for commisions anyway..., I prefer depending on my own style and time if anything.

I don't like artists who take forever to do something either, I've had friends who had issues with good artists, some never came back to furcadia, some cheated them out of their money. I also don't tolerate artists who think they're better than everyone else because they get more commisions than another.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #13: September 19, 2009, 10:41:47 AM»
Also, I don't EVER commision anyone, only art trades occasionally, and I get enough...fanart so I don't need to worry for commisions anyway..., I prefer depending on my own style and time if anything.

If only I had your confidence.

On the issue of time, I would like to be rather lenient about it since I understand that real life should take priority, but I am also impatient and they should also deliver when I pay for something. So, it's kind of up in the air for me. (Oh god oh god I have a volleyball game today, I need to stop reminding myself...)

Offline binkari

«Reply #14: September 19, 2009, 09:41:50 PM»
On the issue of time, I would like to be rather lenient about it since I understand that real life should take priority, but I am also impatient and they should also deliver when I pay for something. So, it's kind of up in the air for me. (Oh god oh god I have a volleyball game today, I need to stop reminding myself...)

I don't think you should feel sorry for an artist that seems to spend more time coming up with sob stories than actually working on things they're being paid to do, nor should you feel bad for watching out for your interests. Commissions are, after all, a business transaction and a lot of amateurs seem to forget that.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #15: September 20, 2009, 02:48:23 PM»

I don't think you should feel sorry for an artist that seems to spend more time coming up with sob stories than actually working on things they're being paid to do, nor should you feel bad for watching out for your interests. Commissions are, after all, a business transaction and a lot of amateurs seem to forget that.

True.

On another note, I agree with the upfront payment thing. That always makes me nervous. When I did commissions, I took payment after showing them either the (watermarked) inked or flat colored version if they were asking for a full piece.

Offline Wizard

«Reply #16: September 22, 2009, 10:52:58 AM»
The main reason I may refrain from commissioning an artist is usually for the reasons Matter stated. Style is no excuse to be unable to properly convey a character as they are, even if it's 'anime'. Watching a good anime for all of five minutes will show that even there, characters vary in build and facial structure and so forth. I just don't like it when I pay money for art that ends up turning my character into a dot-nosed noodleman with huge eyes and smooth skin--I may as well just draw him myself, and get better results for it. Unfortunately, this here is one of the biggest issues with many of the artists on Furcadia.

Also in agreement with the folks up yonder that declare upfront payment as a no-no. I'd gladly pay half upfront, but certainly not the full amount. Paying up all the way gives an artist little incentive to finish up what they started, or, worse, may induce them to do a poor job of the piece, and you usually can't ask for a refund at that point. It usually ends badly in any case. Some artists are responsible enough not to do this, but most of them aren't, so it isn't worth taking chances.

Haughtiness annoys me, too, and is usually a sure sign of a poor artist. Good ones are good because they see all the areas they suck in and are always working on improving--no room for pride there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:56:53 AM by Wizard »

anything