turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Your characters may have been compromised  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Narnia

Your characters may have been compromised
«: October 03, 2009, 12:21:57 PM»
If you are not aware, Furcadia was apparently hacked today and characters information including passwords and e-mail address may have been compromised. At this time, I do not advise you to change your Furcadia password. However, if you are alt appeared in the list that was posted in the news channel, you should update it for your safety.

However, if you use the same or similar password for any other services you are advised to change it immediately.

I will inform you if I hear anything further.

You are further advised to NOT attempt to log into any characters that may have been posted in game. If you do you will suffer severe consequences from DEP. Further, attempting to sell those alts on FAM will result in your immediate suspension.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Farren

Re: Your characters may have been compromised
«Reply #1: October 03, 2009, 05:39:17 PM»
Mr. Cheez posted a topic that lists all the names that were compromised on the furc forums. I posted a link to the list here: http://z3.invisionfree.com/SwiftSharpSensative/index.php?showtopic=57

It looks like it was mostly DEP, people close to DEP in some way, and a few random furres tossed in that were targeted.
Fishberries.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #2: October 06, 2009, 03:39:59 PM»
Quote from: Emerald Flame
It is very important to note though that EVERYONE needs to change their passwords from the old ones. We do have evidence to suggest that many more than the passwords posted were taken though not shared with everyone. So even if you had a harder password to crack than the simple dictionary ones that have been already, you still need to change your password to be extra safe.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Kamose

«Reply #3: October 07, 2009, 10:31:22 AM»
I originally posted this as part of my Character FAQ on the Furcadia forums, but I think that it might be helpful to post this here as well.

Never reveal your character or e-mail passwords to anyone for any reason. Many problems are caused when players share their passwords with trusted friends who turn out not to be trustworthy. Moreover, DEP staff and Beekins do not need to know your password and will never ask for it.

Use passwords that are not easily guessed. Using personal information (such as your name or pet) as a password is a bad idea. People who know you may guess these as passwords. Other bad passwords include: password, login, changeme, test, private, and anything on this list. In light of the recent hacking, DEP recommends that you not use dictionary words as passwords. The best passwords are at least 10 characters long and consist of random letters and numbers, such as iGz93MVaPY.

Don't use the same password for more than one character. If you're using the same password for multiple characters, the loss of one character puts the other characters at risk.

Use a good password for your e-mail address, and make sure it's not the same password that you use for any of your characters. If someone gains access to your character's registered e-mail address, he can gain access to all characters registered to it.

Don't share or trade alts. Many character and Digo problems are caused by alt traders who use the same password on a traded alt as they use for their other alts. (I realize that some of you are going to continue trading alts, but if you insist on taking that risk, please follow the other advice in this thread.)

If you share a computer with other Furcadia players or use a public computer, don't store your passwords in your ini files. Furcadia saves passwords by default, but you can turn off this feature by going to Start -> Furcadia -> Configuration and Troubleshooting. Click the Gameplay tab, and make sure that the box labeled "Save passwords" is not checked.

anything