turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: News from our host!  (Read 966 times)

Offline Narnia

News from our host!
«: March 17, 2008, 10:14:08 AM»
Be prepared for some downtime!

RAID Migration
Monday, March 17th, 2008

Your server, enterprise.acenet-inc.net (’enterprise’), will be undergoing a RAID migration.

The data/time is TBD (To Be Determined), but you’re probably looking at Monday or Tuesday night.

About the RAID migration…

After spending 2-3 hours a day (for the last two weeks) monitoring your server, I’m convinced performance can be GREATLY improved by using RAID-10 (instead of RAID-6). This is not just a simple server adjustment though. First, a new server had to be built and configured with RAID-10. Now your files are being copied over to the new server (which could take 36 or more hours to complete… there’s a lot of files on the server). Once all the files are on the new server, I’ll reconfigure the new server… making it the active enterprise server.

This is a lot of hassle — I’m not going to downplay it.

Lucky, all the hassle is on me. You don’t need to do anything. You just need to understand what’s going on.

In case you’re wondering about downtime…. it will be minimal. 30 minutes TOPS (could be as little as 5-10 minutes).

Here’s what you need to know…

There’s A LOT of files on this server. So many files…. it is going to take 12-36 hours to copy all the files to the new server. I’ll do the databases last, so your databases will be up-to-date the second the new server goes live. However, if you upload or change a file between now and the new server going live, the new/updated file will not initially be on the new server. This also means… any email you receive between now and the new server going live will not initially be on the new server. Don’t panic. Once the new server goes live, I’ll copy over any missed or updated files. Nothing will be lost. It could take up to 48 hours to locate these files and copy them to the new server though. Remember, there’s a lot of files on this server.

I’ll update this blog as soon as all the files have been copied to the new server. I’ll also be updating this blog several times throughout the migration, so I recommend registering with the blog. By registering you can receive email notices each time the blog is updated. And, if you have any questions, you can post a comment to this blog entry. I’ll be answering questions several times each day.

Stay tuned.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Art Zone, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Pocketmew

Re: News from our host!
«Reply #1: March 18, 2008, 08:54:33 AM»
Your host is so cool x3

anything