turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: perfect symmetry is unnatural  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Dolly

perfect symmetry is unnatural
«: November 10, 2009, 12:20:42 AM»

Offline Tate

Re: perfect symmetry is unnatural
«Reply #1: November 10, 2009, 12:56:01 AM»
And it's the reason symmetrical faces on anime (especially) are so disturbing and ugly. To me, at least.

I read a book once, called Uglies. Well, it's a trilogy, but that's the first one. They made a lot of commentary on how we are so asymmetrical, and how, in their 'perfect' society, they'd 'fix' that and make themselves 'beautiful'. I dunno, this just reminded me of the book. And that I need to read the little addon to the series. hrum.

However, I think his little study is flawed. Only in presentation, though. He didn't have pictures with perfect lighting and such. His point would have been much better had he has evenly lit pictures of faces, instead of ones with such heavy shadows on one side.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #2: November 10, 2009, 10:09:34 PM»
And it's the reason symmetrical faces on anime (especially) are so disturbing and ugly. To me, at least.

I read a book once, called Uglies. Well, it's a trilogy, but that's the first one. They made a lot of commentary on how we are so asymmetrical, and how, in their 'perfect' society, they'd 'fix' that and make themselves 'beautiful'. I dunno, this just reminded me of the book. And that I need to read the little addon to the series. hrum.

However, I think his little study is flawed. Only in presentation, though. He didn't have pictures with perfect lighting and such. His point would have been much better had he has evenly lit pictures of faces, instead of ones with such heavy shadows on one side.

I've read that series as well, it was pretty good. I can remember that being mentioned.

I, for one, am very far away from symmetry. For example, while it isn't too noticeable until I point it out, my left ear is angled out farther than my right ear. I also notice that while smiling (my wonderful retarded ear to ear grin), my right eye tends to get narrower than the left. I 'unno, random observations.

Offline Kira

«Reply #3: November 11, 2009, 04:58:43 AM»
I too have asymmetry with my ears. The top of my left ear is curled in more and firmer than the right which is more unfolded/less curled in than my left. So my right is larger than my left.

One of my art teachers (or more idr) at school when trying to teach "DRAWIN FAYSES" made us do that circle thing, measure where each part went and then with a ruler place the features and line them up with a ruler.

They looked like aliens. ):

Looking to commission me or just need to contact?
Deviantart: Demi Furaffinity: Demi Twitter: Demidraws Email: [email protected] I do not check PMs here

Offline Tate

«Reply #4: November 11, 2009, 10:30:34 AM»
I remember that excersize. It was really ugly, and never looked right.

The only main asymmetry of my own face is my mouth (One corner of my mouth seems to be higher, kind of like a smirk, to be honest), and my nose is crooked. But that's because it's been broken a few times.

Offline Dolly

«Reply #5: November 12, 2009, 11:51:05 PM»
I don't think the point is micro-analyzing your own appearance so much as realizing that nothing in nature is perfect and hence why perfection seems alien and creepy.

Nothing on your face, or your body for that matter, is perfectly symmetrical.

Offline Grumpyskunk

«Reply #6: December 09, 2009, 12:05:03 PM»
I personally liked some of the symmetrical faces a bit more than the asymmetricals, more specifically when the right was smooshed together on Jim Morrison, Marilyn Monroe, the guy that did the study, Bush, and Paris Hilton, wonky hair and such aside.

Perhaps it's just personal taste. That being said, I probably wouldn't like it very much if a perfectly symmetrical person, if they existed, came up to me in real life. Could possibly just be the effects of the lighting and what have you.

Offline Katto

«Reply #7: December 11, 2009, 07:35:38 PM»
Symmetry is a myth within nature.

Offline LSD

«Reply #8: December 15, 2009, 05:24:20 PM»
shaved underarms on women are unnatural but i'm pretty sure the majority of us would rather it be so.

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMT668/EMAT6680.2002.Fall/Nazarewicz/7210_final_2/7210_Project/index.html

symmetry is NOT a myth within nature, and that is a very ignorant statement. the link above will give you more information on the topic. symmetrical shapes are everywhere. even the tiniest snowflake is perfectly so. in my opinion i believe humans are no longer symmetrical due to inbreeding and other such nasty shit fucks from old times did. that last sentence is based on absolutely nothing, but it's something i thought of just then. anyway.

anything