turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Feral port] Tear it apart -- New image  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Renhet

[Feral port] Tear it apart -- New image
«: December 11, 2009, 02:36:17 AM»
Yeahhh. Lost interest in the previous port and couldn't get myself to finish. Anyhoo, trying my hand at a feral port. Anything that bothers you, I'd like to know. Also, I seem to be struggling with how to get depth in there. I don't know why, I just can't figure it out. Halp plz. </3

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:51:55 PM by Renhet »

Offline Suzy

Re: [Anthro port] Tear it apart
«Reply #1: December 12, 2009, 01:18:25 AM»
At first glance, the only thing I really notice is the tail. For it to reach clear up there, especially considering that it isn't sticking straight up, it would have to be really long. Unless the character is meant to have a really, really long tail.

I also mistook it as a wonky looking arm when I first saw it, but that's probably just me being retarded.

I can't decide if I like the hair shading. It has a lot of texture, which I like, but it doesn't seem to remap exceptionally well.

I like the position of the ears. Random thought.

Shading overall seems fine, especially the shirt and scarf. Those are very well done.

Overall, it's an adorable port. I dunno is I'm qualified to be saying any of this at all, but there's my two cents. :P

I'm not an expert in any of this, but that's just how it strikes me at the moment.

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: December 12, 2009, 01:30:42 AM»
not going to say much because i don't really feel like it buttt

i do agree with wings about the tail on the port. the tail would have to be really really long in order to reach that high and curve at the top.

but that's not really my main problem with this port. i find the whole pose you've taken on to be really awkward. his head and neck are drawn straight on and the body is drawn at an angle with absolutely no flow in between the two. i would swing the body or turn the head.

Offline Suzy

«Reply #3: December 12, 2009, 02:24:06 AM»
I agree with Sync. It looks like the kind of pose that would be really uncomfortable to hold for too long.

Offline Renhet

«Reply #4: December 12, 2009, 02:28:50 AM»
Yeah, I knew that the tail would have to be sort of long when I began drawing it. I wanted to include it though, I dunno.

Yeah, the remapping for the hair is pretty...eh. It looks messy to me, too, but I can't really complain since I didn't bother to clean up (Lineart aside, I just scribbled it out). I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to make it look detailed, but...look right? Ugh, it's hard to put what i mean about that into something that makes more sense.

Thank you for the compliments, Wings.

About the pose, I didn't really notice, so thanks for pointing that out, Sync. I'll see what I can do to make it flow better.
Aaand yeah, Wings, it sorta does. Probably I should have referenced.

pez

«Reply #5: December 12, 2009, 04:08:33 AM»
it may just be your style, but i think the whole dot-nose needs a little more definition with shading otherwise it seems like their face just comes to an odd looking point if they were to be seen from the side.

the hair though-- i love the strands framing the face, but it seems like the further you got away from that, the more confused your shading became, mostly seen at the top of the head. i know this style is messy, but perhaps next time you should try to find the part at the center of the hair/head and start shading individual pieces branching out from that. i mean, it looks to me like there IS shading to define the part, but a little more attention paid there would do a lot of good.

Offline Renhet

«Reply #6: December 12, 2009, 04:18:53 PM»
it may just be your style, but i think the whole dot-nose needs a little more definition with shading otherwise it seems like their face just comes to an odd looking point if they were to be seen from the side.

the hair though-- i love the strands framing the face, but it seems like the further you got away from that, the more confused your shading became, mostly seen at the top of the head. i know this style is messy, but perhaps next time you should try to find the part at the center of the hair/head and start shading individual pieces branching out from that. i mean, it looks to me like there IS shading to define the part, but a little more attention paid there would do a lot of good.
I never thought about it that way, but yeah, I see what you mean. I guess noses aren't exactly my specialty, so I just threw something down. I'll reference a bit and experiment to see if I can get something more sensible and to my liking.

Not only that, but I think I confused myself on what approach to take with the shading. I may have been trying to try too much at once.
I'll look up some tutorials and try to give it more definition.

Offline LSD

«Reply #7: December 15, 2009, 05:45:31 PM»
tails are best when they're super long, over the top, and fluffy!