turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Critique? Canine Port and some Horse sketches.  (Read 813 times)

Offline Ook

Critique? Canine Port and some Horse sketches.
«: December 16, 2009, 07:18:11 PM»
Alrigt guys, I have a few things I'd like picked at.
First off, this port:

I wanted a blocky face shape for him, so ignore that, I'd like critique on the shading, please. Also maybe tips on linelessness? Also - how the hell do you do nice floppy ears?

also this:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2lw85yr.jpg
POSSIBLY BIG PIC

I'm especially having trouble with their mouths and legs. Any hints and critique here would be very much loved.

Also, please no "OH THATS GOOD but it looks a bit off" comments, not that you guys would, but still.

Offline Anarchy

Re: Critique? Canine Port and some Horse sketches.
«Reply #1: December 16, 2009, 11:03:45 PM»

I hope you don't mind redlines.
Dogs with a blocky jaw still have curves to them, it isn't just a big rectangle. Especially on the lower jaw, it should taper and become smaller. Here your dog's lower jaw was a bit awkward. I can't tell if it's supposed to be normal or have a slight underbite. The mouth/jowl is also far too uniform. It's just one perfect line which isn't normal. There is also almost no brow ridge, and the one that is there is too high.
These problems are all pretty subtle honestly. The only huge, glaring issue I have with it is the ear on the farthest side of the skull. If you think about it, that ear would have to be disproportionately long to be that visible from all the way on the other side of it's head, especially if you take into consideration this is supposed to be a dog with a wide, blocky head.

Hope that helps!!! Sorry if it's a bit wordy.

Offline Ook

Re: Critique? Canine Port and some Horse sketches.
«Reply #2: December 17, 2009, 05:01:13 AM»

I hope you don't mind redlines.
Dogs with a blocky jaw still have curves to them, it isn't just a big rectangle. Especially on the lower jaw, it should taper and become smaller. Here your dog's lower jaw was a bit awkward. I can't tell if it's supposed to be normal or have a slight underbite. The mouth/jowl is also far too uniform. It's just one perfect line which isn't normal. There is also almost no brow ridge, and the one that is there is too high.
These problems are all pretty subtle honestly. The only huge, glaring issue I have with it is the ear on the farthest side of the skull. If you think about it, that ear would have to be disproportionately long to be that visible from all the way on the other side of it's head, especially if you take into consideration this is supposed to be a dog with a wide, blocky head.

Hope that helps!!! Sorry if it's a bit wordy.

Aha! Thankyou for that redline <3 He is supposed to have a slight underbite, but i see what you mean about the jaw. I'm new to floppy ears, and that helps a lot here! Was aiming for him not to have a pronounced ridge (the blocky look again) - but the ridge too high is a comon mistake of mine. I'll work on that! 8'D fankoo<3