turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crit my Port/Traditional art? ((Commishable?))  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Mala

Crit my Port/Traditional art? ((Commishable?))
«: January 03, 2008, 04:06:37 PM»
So I've just started out porting, and I think I'm doing fairly well. I really do need critiques though, so I'm posting here xD;; ((My full collection is here. You can check out all my ports in my gallery, but here are my best ones x3

P.S., these are all NON-REMMAPABLE. Sorry guys. ):

Astro - my friends character. (Fourth port!)

Mina - my main x3 (Third port!)

Sali - my second-main role-playing character. (Fifth port!)

Rainbow Dragon - A request from someone, going to be used in Sumatran's contest.

Gryffe/Phoenix - Entry for Sumatran's contest.

-
Crits? Likes? Dislikes? Please comment! x3

-+-*-+-Traditional-+-*-+-

I have been wondering if anyone would commission my work. My full collection is here

But my main work is in my Gallery x)

Check it out? Please? 8D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:18:51 AM by Mina-chan »

Sesruc

Re: Crit my Port/Traditional art? ((Commishable?))
«Reply #1: January 03, 2008, 05:01:58 PM»
You are not ready to be commissioned.

You need to work especially in anatomy (canine muzzles aren't that small).

Offline Mredria

«Reply #2: January 03, 2008, 07:34:11 PM»
I agree with Sesruc.
You need to try to use more lines that express contour (like the shape of something). Right now you're just doing the outline and a little bit of the fur.
---I apologize---

Offline Sedde

«Reply #3: January 03, 2008, 10:38:43 PM»
Eh...Not really what I'd usually be drawn to, personally. I agree with the others in that you need to become more familiar with the 3D anatomy of something. It'll make it a lot easier to draw a lot of different things once you get some basic relationships down, like ratios of lengths in limbs and such. A lot of this, you can just learn on your own by practicing and using references.

Offline Mala

«Reply #4: January 04, 2008, 01:41:12 AM»
Right, thanks all x)

I'll be sure to keep this in mind~

Adeana

«Reply #5: January 04, 2008, 10:10:51 PM»
I don't think you should get discouraged. It is actually very exciting to see your portraits because they are something new!! Such bright colors and adorable character designs :D I did notice that you are putting shading in.. but it isn't enough. You are almost wasting your time putting all those little pixels in because their values are not different enough to give you much of a 3-d feel. If you are going to do the fur orange for example.. pick the base color.. then a VERY light highlight (yellowy) and a VERY dark shadow.. and move from there. All it takes is practice and I hope to see more of your work :D

cheers,
Adeana

Offline Death Echo

«Reply #6: January 05, 2008, 01:42:48 AM»
I agree that you shouldn't get discouraged. While you still need some work, your artwork is very cute right now. x)
We're all unique. So there for we are all a like.

Offline Glory

«Reply #7: January 05, 2008, 01:57:19 PM»
Im more on the side that maybe your not ready for commissions yet.
Your muzzles right now for the canines seem to slope down till it reaches the nose, rather then a sharp shape that indicates theres a skull of a breed that exists. Plus the necks structure seem to go like a S (the spinal cord in the neck is swerving oddly) or be much too thin/muscless to support the weight of the head for its size.

Offline Mala

«Reply #8: January 05, 2008, 02:13:36 PM»
I don't think you should get discouraged. It is actually very exciting to see your portraits because they are something new!! Such bright colors and adorable character designs :D I did notice that you are putting shading in.. but it isn't enough. You are almost wasting your time putting all those little pixels in because their values are not different enough to give you much of a 3-d feel. If you are going to do the fur orange for example.. pick the base color.. then a VERY light highlight (yellowy) and a VERY dark shadow.. and move from there. All it takes is practice and I hope to see more of your work :D

cheers,
Adeana

Ah, thank you so very much! :D
For the shading, I'll take that advice! <3 I've been asking for crits on the site I draw at, but no one really said much about shading...

I agree that you shouldn't get discouraged. While you still need some work, your artwork is very cute right now. x)

Thanks a lot! <3

Im more on the side that maybe your not ready for commissions yet.
Your muzzles right now for the canines seem to slope down till it reaches the nose, rather then a sharp shape that indicates theres a skull of a breed that exists. Plus the necks structure seem to go like a S (the spinal cord in the neck is swerving oddly) or be much too thin/muscless to support the weight of the head for its size.

Ah, I get what you're saying. Thanks, I really needed to do something with my muzzles! x3

-

+New example (Rainbow Dragon)
+New example (Gryffe/Phoenix)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:14:03 AM by Mina-chan »

Offline Cowboy

«Reply #9: January 06, 2008, 12:38:04 AM»
I think that your ports are adorable. While of course there is always room for improvement and developing, I personally think that you should keep the small, sloped muzzles and work towards making it your own little style (not that it already isn't. ;)).
"You can't be gay and in a western, especially in Wyoming." she said, "Plus there weren't any gay people back in 1963."

Offline Mala

«Reply #10: January 11, 2008, 09:33:34 PM»
I think that your ports are adorable. While of course there is always room for improvement and developing, I personally think that you should keep the small, sloped muzzles and work towards making it your own little style (not that it already isn't. ;)).

Thanks~ <3

I think I might change the muzzles to look a bit more realistic, but keep my own touch. <D

Offline Wani

«Reply #11: January 12, 2008, 03:18:32 AM»
I agree with Dormouse, your portraits are really cute, and i love the muzzles.
The second portrait is just too cute. :3 And i like your shading.

The only thing that 'bugs' me, is the wings in the last portrait,
maybe try using less black lines? Makes it look less.. hmm.. busy, you know?
With the black lines, there is so much going on in the portrait, you don't really know where to look at.

<3
<3

Offline Lord

«Reply #12: January 12, 2008, 03:47:02 AM»
i'm jumping on the boat here--you aren't quite ready for comissions. your art is very cute, though.

practice anatomy, even if it's just a little bit at a time.

every artist starts somewhere, just ask around and you'll find that out ;3

anything