turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: redline/critique cat avatar please?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Hyorin

redline/critique cat avatar please?
«: March 22, 2008, 11:05:58 PM»

title says it all, looking for a redline/critique. i know it's a bit of a small thing to critique but i really want this avatar to look good. i'd prefer critiques on the lineart, but if you spot something wrong with the shading you can mention that too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:08:09 PM by Minty »

Offline Kratos

Re: redline/critique cat avatar please?
«Reply #1: March 23, 2008, 01:35:42 PM»
im bad with lines so unfortunately i cant.. do much there..
although the pose looks a bit 'stiff' if you get what i mean.
the positioning is awkward and the tail looks like it should be at another angle/back more (ugh i cant describe this for shit), instead of just sticking out almost like it's not BEHIND the butt.

anyway, try dithering some of the shading.
i took a look with a brown fur remap in FSH ed, and it looks a bit too... BAM, for a lack of a better word.
try dithering it a little bit (not too much if you really adore that "HIIMHERE" look, but enough to blend it better).
also, try another darker shade for more dimension/depth.

im a bit psycho with making things blend, so you dont have to use as much dithering as i did, but you get the point.

Offline Sync

«Reply #2: March 23, 2008, 01:53:14 PM»
the thing i would do is make the pose more... flexible.

right now it will defiantly not move smoothly into the next pose.

Offline Hyorin

«Reply #3: March 23, 2008, 04:28:06 PM»
thanks for the shading help, Penelope - you're right, now that i've had a better look at it it does look better dithered! also, i'm definitely gonna adjust the tail too. :P

so, i've been pondering the 'flexible' and not so stiff bits you guys mentioned. what would you suggest exactly? make the body longer, lower the head, legs thicker/thinner, making the legs curved...? you do have a good point, it certainly does look stiff, but i'm at a loss as to what i can do to make it better. however, i'm definitely gonna take those points of view into account and continue to experiment.

still open for redlines and critique <3

EDIT

so i went ahead without any other suggestions and tried to edit it

the first version is on the left, the edited dithered version on the right.

opinions, again? does it look better/more flexible? i elongated the body and curved the legs + dithered a lot, perhaps too much. i also edited the tail but it pisses me off even more now. also i think the legs are too long ugh. have another look and tell me what i oughta change and stuff, please.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:57:52 PM by Minty »

Offline Kratos

«Reply #4: March 23, 2008, 06:03:44 PM»
regarding shading again: to make things smooth out even more, be sure to use closest shades next to each other, so theres no abrupt... 3rd shade next to 5th shade, for example.

by making the body longer, i think you might've changed the perspective a bit accidentally.
it's facing SW, but it doesnt look like its on the right angle to me.

the way the body's lined makes the perspective seem off.
im sure an artist could redline that for you. i fail at drawing; im just good at shading.

also.. how big are these cats meant to be??

(granted i suck and the furre's a little too low)

oh, one more thing.
as for leg size, it sort of depends on what you're trying to imitate with the av.
some cats have long legs, some have short stocky ones.
the hind legs look like they could be thickened at the top just a bit. don't overdo it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:12:31 PM by Penelope »

Offline Sync

«Reply #5: March 23, 2008, 06:13:39 PM»
yeah, it sort of does. i think the head should be lowered a little though.

like, this is what i mean(it's just a photo):
http://vrkalak.deviantart.com/art/a-Water-Cat-53953581
when a cats moving quickly, i usually see the head and tail lowered, kinda like in that pic.

Offline Hyorin

«Reply #6: March 23, 2008, 06:43:29 PM»

2nd version on left, 3rd on right

gah i can never get my shading to look right ;; although yeah, you guys're right again it is too tall. now that i look at it it's like a mini cheetah or something rofl
so i lowered its body + shortened its legs + lowered its head a tad. (it's standing position so i'll probably make the head bob up and down as it walks.) i added the little red line for them to stand on to make the difference more obvious and shizzle.
i also thickened the hind legs a bit. i'm going for a bit of a thinner cat.

the size of the cat doesn't really bother me much since a lot of the items around it will be custom-fit to the cat's size, including humans, which there won't be many of in the first place. :x

still looking for someone to redline and as always, moar crit-eek

Offline Wyndlily Sharphowl

«Reply #7: April 04, 2008, 09:24:01 AM»
I don't know how realistic you're going for but I would majorly tweak the tail. It is too thick towards the end and shouldn't come out so far or so high for just a generic walking position.

It is getting better and better with each update for sure though, so keep up the good work in that regard!

I wouldn't make the head bob as the cat walks. Generally cats move very gracefully, without moving their heads a lot; their legs just sorta work underneath them and their upper bodies seem to glide.

The legs are weeee bit on the long side, I would shorten them by just a pixel, and I would lengthen the body a bit. Right now it is very square, and cats are generally more rectangular.

Offline Sanne

«Reply #8: April 08, 2008, 04:48:48 AM»
Cat legs and paws are rather slender and small.

Maybe try making the legs a bit thinner and the paws smaller?
"Deep down inside, you wish you were skinny."
"No. Deep down inside, you wish you had half the confidence I have to be yourself."

Offline Tiponya

«Reply #9: April 29, 2008, 08:28:34 PM»

The main thing that makes the avatar look 'off' is because it's not drawn in perspective.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:18:57 PM by Tiponya »
Avatar, Patches and Portraits! Oh no! :o