turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gerbils!  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Sedde

Gerbils!
«: January 18, 2010, 01:45:09 PM»
I recently invested in a 10-gallon tank, bedding, food dish, water bottle, tubes, etc. to house my two lovely gerbils (that are supposedly both female), Yin and Yang. Sounds dumb, but when I first got them they would sit head-to-tail with each other in their food dish, and one is black and the other's white. So!

Yang (appropriately) is very active and kinda pushy, and ever since I got it it's been walking all over Yin and scratching frantically at every corner and wall of the tank.

On top of that, Yin is younger, but keeps squeaking a lot, mostly when Yang decides to squeeze past the poor dear in their thick cardboard tubes. :( I've been handling them daily and trying to get a good look all over to make sure I don't see any battle wounds, and they seem to get along well otherwise.

I dunno if I meant for this to be a POST CUTE PICTURES OF YOUR RODENT PETS!!!! thread, or asking for advice or info on why Yang's such a spazz. Even 3 weeks after being introduced to their home, Yang's still flipping out trying to find ways to get out. Is this normal? :|

GO

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Gerbils!
«Reply #1: January 18, 2010, 03:05:09 PM»
I've never had gerbils, but I've had hamsters... it... it wasn't a very good experience. One ate the others face off.. cannot unsee. BUT besides being demon cannibals I loved them haha. Maybe yang's just really really insane? Who knows!

Offline Sedde

«Reply #2: January 18, 2010, 03:17:58 PM»
As terribly gruesome as that is, it's because hamsters are solitary critters, whereas gerbils like to bond to one other gerbil, and can be sad if there's no companion to groom/play with.

Scary hamsters. :( That's the second cannibalism story about hamsters I've heard in the past month.

Offline MT

• This is the most sober I've ever been in an airport.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • FA

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Windows User Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary
«Reply #3: January 18, 2010, 03:19:54 PM»
yeah... it certainly convinced me that hamsters are BRUTAL KILLING MACHINES that will eat your entire face..

Offline kenzy

«Reply #4: January 18, 2010, 03:36:14 PM»
.__. ive never heard of a hamster eating another.

ive always wanted a gerbil but they're so expensive, the pet store here keeps them all together and they spend their time sleeping in a pile.
i only have rats and they are always trying to find a way out and ive had them for a year. maybe they all just want out in general? :I

Offline Grumpyskunk

«Reply #5: January 18, 2010, 04:03:24 PM»
I've never had gerbils but I've also had rats, Milkshake and Chassidy. The latter was completely white and the other was white with crazy black spots all over it, hence the name. But that's neither here nor there.

Chassidy was exactly like Yang and Milkshake was just like Yin...Chassidy was batshit crazy, she would go on top of the waterbottle and try to push her way out of the cage. We had to put books on top so she wouldn't escape. She did it her entire life, which was close to a year (I think they both got sick for some reason) >: That being said, it might just be her personality xD

My rats, both female, often got into little boxing fights but nothing too serious. So...I dunno, Yang might just be insane o.o

Offline LSD

«Reply #6: January 18, 2010, 07:31:56 PM»
dude i had these hamsters, and the female chased the male out of the cage, then he died and she was pregnant. she had all these babies, right. so that night i hear all this squeaking and shit.. the next morning, no more babies. wtf.

Offline Hiccuped

«Reply #7: January 18, 2010, 08:14:18 PM»
dude i had these hamsters, and the female chased the male out of the cage, then he died and she was pregnant. she had all these babies, right. so that night i hear all this squeaking and shit.. the next morning, no more babies. wtf.

A lot of the time mice eat their babies. .A.

Offline Sedde

«Reply #8: January 18, 2010, 08:20:59 PM»
Man, all these crazy hamster stories... O_o

Thanks for the assurance, though -- I figured if they hadn't bitten each others' faces off by now, they wouldn't. Yang will probably just continue to be a spazz, but she's mostly a smart spazz so it's ok. xD

Offline Grumpyskunk

«Reply #9: January 18, 2010, 08:35:31 PM»
I've never had gerbils, but I've had hamsters... it... it wasn't a very good experience. One ate the others face off.. cannot unsee. BUT besides being demon cannibals I loved them haha. Maybe yang's just really really insane? Who knows!

Do you need more evidence that hamsters are from the seed of the devil?! xD Oh my God those little mini hamsters are the WORST too >.< Fucking Scooter...

*seethes with bad memories*

Offline Bananasaurus

«Reply #10: January 18, 2010, 08:53:35 PM»
My beloved late gerbils, Nibbles (a black female with white "sweat bracelets" on her wrists) and Hop-hop (a mottled gray and what male), hated each other at first.
Thing is, I got Nibbles first and she was fine for a few months, never trying to escape or anything crazy. But she started to get depressed, so I got Hop-hop in hopes that they would mate and make eachother happy. Maybe I'd get some bebes out of it. ;3

I put them both in my bathtub (neutral territory) to meet, and immediately they began tearing at eachother with demonic shrieks! But I kept trying and eventually they got so close as to sleep together in a pile and repeatedly mate. All. The. Time.

Hop-hop was always the nervous one, constantly thumping his feet to impress Nibbles, climbing ontop of the toilet paper rolls, water bottle, or plastic house to try to escape. He NEVER stopped doing that until he got very old and could no longer move all that much. Every gerbil has their own personality, but I think you need to give your pocket pets some more time to get used to everything.

SUGGESTION: Let them play in an enclosed area filled with sand, sticks, and dried grasses every once in a while. They'll be in heaven! :3

Offline Drug

«Reply #11: January 18, 2010, 10:58:49 PM»
Oh yeah, Gerbils and many hamsters do spaz out all the time like that. Keep in mind that Gerbils are heavy burrowers.. little Yang might just be trying to extend her burrow. It's very common for gerbils to scratch and mark the walls too, don't be alarm!

Offline Tain

«Reply #12: January 19, 2010, 04:04:06 AM»
during the summer i went to the pet store to get my snake some yummy nice feeder mice.
forgot to say frozen.. ended up going home with 4 mice.
woke up and smelt a god awful smell, thought my cat took a dump somewhere in my room after searching my room to try and find it with no luck i got some seeds and apples for the mice.
..lol 3 of them ganged up on one and partially ate him and it was like.. 90 degrees so i had a mouse corpse cooking in my room.
snake didn't mind having left overs.
oh and they were named after harry potter people.

AND i had a pet hamster named hamtaro.
oh my god. he had red eyes and i swear to god he bit you every time you picked him up or put your hand in his cage. and he had like.. a hamster condo.
then he got these huge balls and couldn't walk and i think my mum fed him to the cat but idk.

Offline Magma

«Reply #13: January 19, 2010, 09:54:29 AM»
Yeah. Seriously, my sister's boyfriend had a knocked up hamster. He called all of us over when it started having babies. Interesting to see kind of thing, I guess. . .

Well, OH NO it wasn't. The fugly crazy ass thing ate all its damn babies. It was horrible. Of course this doesn't really help things for you since I am neither talking about gerbils or offering advice, but I had to share the horror I was forced to see. xD

Offline Sedde

«Reply #14: January 22, 2010, 10:12:53 AM»
Thank you everybody for the tips! :) Yang is still a spazz, but she and Yin have been playing more and having fun burrowing around their bedding, plus they're getting way more comfortable with human interaction.

They probably just needed a little more time getting used to everything...now to fix their exercise wheel that they chewed off!

Offline Goldrush

«Reply #15: February 02, 2010, 04:17:03 PM»
JIBBLESSSSSS :D
i have two gerbils, used to have 3 :( and 5 degus =D

SUP DAWG. WE HEARD YOU LIKE CARS SO WE PUT A CAR IN YO CAR SO YOU CAN DRIVE WHILE YOU DRIVE.

http://www.hazel-rah.webs.com

Offline Sedde

«Reply #16: February 02, 2010, 04:18:21 PM»
Those first few look EXACTLY like Yang. :D Yay spazzoid!

Also I've taken to calling them gerbils with a hard G, so...grr-bils. That or yerbils. Woo.

Offline Theme

«Reply #17: February 03, 2010, 12:33:04 AM»
Oh 'ef. I had no idea Gerbils were so friggin' adorable. I forgot you could own them as a pet actually....

I've had  Guinea pigs before and they were pretty cute 'cept one was kind of...stupid. He died of a heart attack or something after getting his nails trimmed....ehm. They were terribly loud and annoying though ):

I currently own an adorable little dwarf hamster who, amazingly enough, has never once bitten me. He's hyper as hell though, and loves to keep me up at night while running his is cheap hamster wheel. Oh, I also found out he likes the taste of hand sanitizer >_>;; oops...

Offline kat

«Reply #18: February 03, 2010, 03:06:58 AM»
guinea pigs > everything

Offline Grumpyskunk

«Reply #19: February 04, 2010, 08:39:59 PM»
I currently own an adorable little dwarf hamster who, amazingly enough, has never once bitten me. He's hyper as hell though, and loves to keep me up at night while running his is cheap hamster wheel. Oh, I also found out he likes the taste of hand sanitizer >_>;; oops...

I salute you for being brave enough to own one of those little jelly bean shaped spawns of Satan >.<! I think I'm just biased cause Scooter was just a fucking bastard and I wanted to like...squish him. But I'm no animal murderer :3 Plus he wasn't mine so. That would have probably been frowned upon.

In retrospect this probably could have been avoided if I stopped trying to convert him to being a good hamster. *shakes fist*

anything