turtles
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pimping out Furcadians on deviantART!  (Read 945 times)

Offline The_Rg

Pimping out Furcadians on deviantART!
«: February 04, 2010, 07:35:37 AM»
(Text copied and pasted from my journal on dA: http://pixel-spotlight.deviantart.com/journal/30108114/)

I'm sure lots of you remember all of those problems we had on dA a couple of years ago about Furcadia portraits not having a proper home on dA, them getting moved all over the page and everyone getting generally upset?

I know I sure do, I was the one trying to sort everything out - pain in my arse!

As some of you (hopefully most of you!) might know, I'm now the anthro gallery moderator on deviantART - or one of them, at least!

I'd like to use some of my GM powarz to feature some ports that really deserve to be seen! I'm going to try and feature at least one port a month as a DD! (What are DDs? See this: http://help.deviantart.com/18/)

I know of lots of awesome ports, but I need your help finding more! I'd love for you to find some ports that you think are amazing and send them in a note to me, with the title "DD Suggestion - Port" or something similar.

I can't guarantee that every suggestion will get a DD, but I'll be doing regular features in journals and news articles of all your suggestions, so start hunting and suggesting! :D

The only thing - I can't feature human ports, I can do feral or anthros (anthros are best! ;P) but not humans!

I'd also really appreciate it if you could pimp this journal out all you can, lets show the deviantART community how awesome Furcadians are!

If you wish to know about what happened, and the proper gallery to submit your ports to then see this journal from 2008: http://pixel-spotlight.deviantart.com/journal/16204097/

Edit: YES, you are allowed to suggest yourself!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:01:21 PM by The_Rg »

Offline Eevee

Re: Pimping out Furcadians on deviantART!
«Reply #1: February 04, 2010, 09:31:56 AM»
I'm not saying I'm ungrateful for what you're trying to do, but...

I'm still against furcadia portraits being moved to "avatars/icons/whatever" just because we have to watermark them for safety because despite watermarks and "DO NOT STEAL" being plastered all over a submission, even more people than usual will see it fair game to take because alot of art in that category are freebies so people will assume portraits, commissioned or personal, are free to take, edit, and use however they wish, totally disregarding "© to's", "commissioned", and "DO NOT STEAL."  It'll just create alot more frustration and trouble for the artists.

Its even harder if its taken on dA and edited/traced and used/uploaded on dA either as a submission or an icon because of, how I view it, deviantART's admin are pretty lazy when it comes to stolen pieces and oftentimes disregard them as stolen if they're traced and/or edited. God forbid if its furry/anthro art because I've seen some cases in which they were pretty iffy on dealing with anything furry/anthro.

I've been considering shutting down my port account on dA and moving it all to here, or make an account on FA for it, but then I'd lose timestamps of the ones created pre-FAZ.

at least on here and FA, if it says "commissioned piece", "character copyright to" or "do not steal", people, most of the time, know NOT TO TAKE IT.

I personally feel FAZ is ideal for furc-related art because its an art community created specifically for furcadia artists. Its easier to find an artist to commission on here than it is on deviantART without having to sift through 24091234918348 portraits for 942038 different keyword combinations to get different results you might have not been given in the last search, then have to browse the person's journal to see if they're opened for commissions, then probably do even more snooping to find prices.

Here, its all in one thread, sometimes in the title. Its even easy to find free artists on here who are taking in requests and are still active.

If we want more members? In-game Furc ads. Simple as that. Not to mention plenty of people link to FAZ in their descs.

There's really no need to post ports on deviantART anymore except for pageviews and attention.

oh yeah, we don't discriminate against human ports. I know you have no choice because you're only in charge of anthro art, but that limits quite a bit of artists in chances of a daily deviation, either because their best works are human ports, or its all they choose to do.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:47:31 AM by Eevee »

Offline The_Rg

«Reply #2: February 04, 2010, 09:57:35 AM»
I completely understand and agree with what you're saying; it is hugely unfair that ports get sidelined just because we're trying to protect ourselves against theft.

I've been campaigning, and still am, for a new gallery for ports - and I think that it might soon happen (but can't say too much about it)!

I agree, FAZ is wonderful - although I'm not hugely active because I'm lazy and tend not to make much art. I've just been involved in dA for a long time, and I'm trying to fix a lot of hurt that happened to Furcadians on dA. I know I can't undo everything that happened, I've always just been trying to control the damage.

And now I want to impress upon the rest of deviantART (a lot of whom are furry haters or whatever, pretty much all of them don't understand what 'anthro' is) that we're an awesome community and can create some truly wonderful, unique stuff.

If I come across, or get suggested, an awesome human port then I'll forward it on to the relevant gallery moderator and strongly suggest they feature it, I'm not one to let things be ignored just because not everyone sees the skill in it.

I hope that made sense and there aren't too many typos - my fingers are FREEZING which makes it hard to type! ;P

EDIT: And don't get me started on some of the staff on dA, there's a number of ignorant furry bashers; not that I said that of course.
The whole copying/tracing rule has been rewritten in a way which clarifies it and is better for the original artist, if you report a piece as traced or stolen (especially if you are the original artist) then it will get removed as quickly as possible - but often after talking to the second artist, which is why it often takes longer or seems like no action has been taken.

But I don't want to get into discussing policies that I don't agree with, 'cause I agree it could be done much better, I just want to pimp out Furcadians on dA. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:06:31 AM by The_Rg »

Offline Farren

«Reply #3: February 05, 2010, 12:46:03 PM»
Where do I submit suggestions? I have one or two people I'd like to suggest...
Fishberries.

Gin

«Reply #4: February 05, 2010, 01:56:16 PM»
On DA you note The_RG and then follow these steps:

Title your Note "DD Suggestion"
Provide a Thumbnail or Link to the deviation you would like to suggest.
Providing a description is optional, but preferred.
Tell us if you would like to remain anonymous if you want to.

Offline Farren

«Reply #5: February 05, 2010, 02:26:31 PM»

Alright, thanks
Fishberries.

Offline The_Rg

«Reply #6: February 05, 2010, 02:58:28 PM»

Thanks. <3
These steps exactly! :D

anything